Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2007, 08:24 PM

Default Can I slow play this set?

Feel like I may have made mistakes on every street. No good data on villains.

Ultimate Bet
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.05./$0.10.
5 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $9.69
CO: $8.95
Button: $9.02
SB: $11.29
Hero: $10

Pre-flop: (5 players) Hero is BB with T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
UTG folds, CO calls, <font color="#cc0000">Button raises to $0.3</font>, SB folds, Hero calls, CO calls.

I call here because I really don't want to play TT OOP vs. two possible unknowns. Perhaps a 3-bet pushes CO out so it's advisable?

Flop: T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($0.95, 3 players)
Hero checks, CO checks, Button checks.

in a raised pot and 2 other people involved I figure someone should rep the ace, and the board isn't draw heavy (given PF action) so I'm thinking I'll go for the C-R on the turn. Disappointed when nobody bets

Turn: 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($0.95, 3 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $0.7</font>, CO calls, Button folds.

okay, I'll lead here, build a pot. Still likely way ahead

River: 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($2.35, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $2</font>, <font color="#cc0000">CO raises to $5</font>, Hero calls.

value bet the river (maybe a little too much). With the raise I hope for 2-pair, but I'm paying off the 9

Results:
Final pot: $12.35
Old 08-05-2007, 08:35 PM

Default Re: Can I slow play this set?

by 3betting preflop, you're giving your opponents (another)chance to fold which may win you the pot outright.
this is a dream flop for your hand and i feel like you're losing a tonne of value declining to bet it.

TT wrecks my head OOP, i'm interested to hear other people's thoughts.
Old 08-05-2007, 08:36 PM

I 3bet here to find out where I'm at, isolate, and take the betting lead if I don't get 4bet. Or I call, depends on villain. However I do bet this flop every time and hope someone has an ace. Never slowplay anything but like quads at NL10 it will just cause you misery.
Old 08-05-2007, 08:38 PM

Preflop is marginal, I sometimes 3bet, but call is fine for reasons you stated.

Flop is certainly lead. We don't know that BTN will cbet into 2 opponents, and anyway we are going for his stack, not a poor cbet. If he has an ace you are winning a decent pot of him no matter what you do, but you can control the action to get all of his stack if you lead yourself. If button has a weak ace, do NOT allow him to take a pot control line and check behind on the flop. Certainly lead the flop.

Turn seems fine.

River lead is fine, but shvove over his raise. You will see 77/66/88 or aces up so much. My god, PLEASE shove the river for value and get that last little piece of his stack. Do you really put him on a 9 here?
Old 08-05-2007, 08:40 PM

I would definitly reraise preflop. CO looks weak and BTN makes a tiny bet that doesn't look to strong as well.
With a good hand preflop I like to reraise the button everytime because he often has garbage and I don't want to let him see the flop cheaply.

Ok, on to the hand as played:
Pretty standard to check the flop I think, hoping for a c-bet (but I personally don't like to lead out into the preflop raiser, so I might be biased)

The lead on the turn is good. You get value from aces and 2-pair hands, and protect your hand against T9 and 78 making a straight.

It's ok to bet on the river, to get some value from 2 pair. I would bet half the pot.
If you get raised you have to let it go. You are not going to be reraised by someone who has 2 pair on this board I think.
Old 08-05-2007, 08:51 PM

even if button cbs every single flop, i'm still going to lead into him. i think most people agree that doing so is much more profitable long term than playing to snap off 1 extra bet. if i get raised, maybe i'll give the lead back, maybe i won't. depends on the villain.
Old 08-05-2007, 09:01 PM

I think you played it fine. Since we have absolutely no read pf I donīt understand why we are 3betting pf. An insane number of people raise like 4% of their hands. TT is a good hand and I 3bet it all the time but just calling is fine too. On the flop I would cr too, if mr pfr checks an ace on the flop it is with the intention of trapping with a sneaky turn minraise, not for pot control. I think you lost very very little value when the flop was checked thru vs a lead.

Also, I would just want to add that checking to the pfr is not slowplaying.
Old 08-05-2007, 09:53 PM

Bet flop, plenty worse hands call if not raise.
Old 08-05-2007, 10:03 PM

I like the call preflop. I'd 3-bet only when I'm pretty certain I can get it heads-up. I'd hate to play this against two callers like there is potential for here. Flop is a common play for me. Is the check here OOP wrong or what? Anyway, turn is fine. You bet a little much on the river. I don't think you can get a whole bunch of value out of many hands here so I'd bet half the pot. Less is okay and 2/3 might be okay, but no more.
Old 08-05-2007, 10:07 PM

I like to lead the flop because it looks like a donk bet into a raiser. You'll hopefully get reraised by somebody not liking donk bets. I don't like the check raise because it screams "I flopped a monster and you've just fallen into my trap". Check raises raise a lot of suspicion, when a lead builds a pot a looks pretty standard.