Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2007, 01:36 PM

Default Straight on board, he pushes river (FTP 10+)

Just a line check here. He has a 9 or a backdoor flush here really often right?

No reads on villian, haven't seen him do anything out of the ordinary and he's only shown down like 2 hands in the 25 that I've been at the table, although one of them was a few hands ago he open limped A8 in EP+2 and made middle pair and played it passively from there.

Generally with this river situation I usually would just let it go, but his push gave me decent odds to call (he pushed ~1300 into ~1800). I wasn't really thinking about the backdoor flush that came in on the river, if that happens oh well. I guess 99 is within his raise/call range, but I kind of doubt a 3 is.

What really bugs me though is why push something like 99 or a BDSD, wouldn't he want me to call a value bet?

Hero has: A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Hero has 3920, Villian has 2105

Blinds 50/25.

PF:

Villian raises to 150 UTG, call, 3 folds, I make it 450 to go, villian calls.

Flop: 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Villian checks, I bet 350, villian quickly calls.

Turn: 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

We both check.

River: 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

He instapushes 1305
Old 08-05-2007, 03:18 PM

Default Re: Straight on board, he pushes river (FTP 10+)

This is a spot I have a little trouble with here. At best, you're splitting the pot. So, you're calling 1305 chips to win 2140 chips (half the pot after you call the shove). Most of that 2140 is the chips you invested into the pot. At the end of this hand, you're gonna get a grand total of 35 or 40 extra chips in your stack at the end of the hand.

Of course that's assuming that you're chopping the pot. You could be facing a pair of nines, a backdoor flush that was hit on the river. Hell, the guy might have been real bad and played 98s.

Is 40 chips worth it? I've always been under the impression that calling for a chop in a heads up pot is not a smart thing to do unless the board has the stone nuts on it.
Old 08-05-2007, 04:06 PM

can't look at it as winning 40 chips. Gotta make the decision on the river. The amount I've already put in the pot is gone, it's not mine anymore. It's sunk cost.

It's 1300 to win 900. How often does he have a 9 or a BD flush here?

Also, these kinds of river pushes are really wierd and in general I've never really understood them. This post is half about figuring out what they usually mean. I think they're actually very often the nuts but I dunno.
Old 08-05-2007, 10:46 PM

its really hard to tell what these river pushes mean without a read. I struggle with them myself, however on another note, I dont like the reraise preflop, you have no reads on UTG but yet reraise him with AQ? Why not just call and play a smaller pot in position?