Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2007, 01:39 AM

Default B&M 3/6 Flop Trip Aces, weak kicker

This is from a fairly loose passive live 9 handed 3/6 game.

There are two important opponents here. The LP Asian lady plays about 1/3 of her hands preflop, usually pretty passive, but will raise when she hit something big. The tight aggressive player is directly to my right. He has only been at the table a few orbits, but is clearly very tight and has been aggressive when he has a hand.

I have A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] in middle position.

Three limpers to me, including the LP Asian lady and the TAG. I limp. A couple of folds, but the cut off and both blinds call.

Flop is A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] , 7 SB, 7 players

Action goes, 3 checks, bet (LP Asian Lady), raise (TAG), I ?

My read is the LP Asian Lady is likely to have the case A, because I couldn’t see her betting anything else here, and she could have just about any kicker. The TAG could be raising a flush draw. Should I call or 3-bet here? My instinct was to 3-bet to try to fold out players with one club or a small pocket pair and to see if anyone would cap it. But given the bet raise action, somebody probably has a flush draw, and the Asian Lady is unlikely to cap it unless here kicker is a 9.

Assuming I 3-bet, there is no cap and the other 4 players fold, what should my line be on a non-club blank turn if someone bets into me? What should my line be if a club comes on the turn and someone bets into me?
Old 08-06-2007, 09:34 PM

Default Re: B&M 3/6 Flop Trip Aces, weak kicker

How would the Asian lady play 9's pre flop? I think your first instinct is right. I would 3 bet here. The action on the turn is going to be based on what happens after your three bet. If both players call, I think you may be facing either 9's, a flush draw or another weak ace. If a club hits the turn where does the bet come from (if it comes)? From the Asian lady, I am inclined to call. From the middle player I am more inclined to fold. A re raise to your three bet, especially from the Asian lady would seem to indicate a big ace and you may be making a good fold. JB
Old 08-07-2007, 02:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How would the Asian lady play 9's pre flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn’t think of this at the time, but 99 is consistent with her play. She wouldn’t raise it preflop, but might bet this flop. Although with a flopped full house, she might go for the check raise too.
Old 08-07-2007, 04:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
How would the Asian lady play 9's pre flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn’t think of this at the time, but 99 is consistent with her play. She wouldn’t raise it preflop, but might bet this flop. Although with a flopped full house, she might go for the check raise too.

[/ QUOTE ]

a player like this only bets this flop with a flopped boat when she has a seizure and her chips are involuntarily flung into the pot by her convulsion.
Old 08-06-2007, 11:48 PM

go ahead and put in 1.5bb now. it's cheaper than 2-3bb on the turn UI. if you 3bet, given the lady is passive and the TAG is tight, you have a good chance at slowing the betting down on the big streets. TAG is raising anything from a nine, a [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]draw, to maybe even a pp like 66 or 77(low range obv). 3betting now lets you build a pot with a pretty strong hand, assess the action others are willing to give, and take some initiative.
Old 08-07-2007, 12:15 AM

I 3bet, it just makes the hand like 100x easier to play.
Old 08-07-2007, 02:13 AM

Lets make the turn question more concrete.

I did 3 bet the flop, there were four folds, the LP Asian lady called 2 cold, and the TAG called.

Turn is [A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8 BB, 3 players

The action went: Check (LP Asian lady), Bet (TAG), I ???

What is my best action here?

I think I am behind, and need to fill up. Here is my post game thinking. I have three 6 outs, three 5 outs, three 9 outs, plus the case A, but a lot of those outs need to be discounted. From the action, I think one of my opponent’s cards is the case A. If they have A9, I have only 2 outs to a split pot. If they have A5, I have three good outs, and 5 outs to a split pot. If they also have A6, I have 8 outs to a split pot. If they have some other Ax, I have 3 outs to win, and 6 outs to a split pot. If the case A is not out, but somebody has a 99, then I have 7 outs. If they are both on flush draws, then I have 10 outs.

Basically, only the three 6 outs look very good to me, and I think I need 5 outs to call here. I’m not sure how to weight these outs.
Old 08-07-2007, 04:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Lets make the turn question more concrete.

I did 3 bet the flop, there were four folds, the LP Asian lady called 2 cold, and the TAG called.

Turn is [A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8 BB, 3 players

The action went: Check (LP Asian lady), Bet (TAG), I ???

What is my best action here?

I think I am behind, and need to fill up. Here is my post game thinking. I have three 6 outs, three 5 outs, three 9 outs, plus the case A, but a lot of those outs need to be discounted. From the action, I think one of my opponent’s cards is the case A. If they have A9, I have only 2 outs to a split pot. If they have A5, I have three good outs, and 5 outs to a split pot. If they also have A6, I have 8 outs to a split pot. If they have some other Ax, I have 3 outs to win, and 6 outs to a split pot. If the case A is not out, but somebody has a 99, then I have 7 outs. If they are both on flush draws, then I have 10 outs.

Basically, only the three 6 outs look very good to me, and I think I need 5 outs to call here. I’m not sure how to weight these outs.

[/ QUOTE ]

call the turn now, (as he has K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]), and hit a 6 on the river. don't be gay and call the river when it comes 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
Old 08-07-2007, 08:58 AM

nice flop play.

call the turn.

best wishes and good luck and take care,

James
Old 08-07-2007, 04:04 AM

3-betting forces your villains to define their hands, charges flush draws, and gives you the option of taking a free card.