Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2007, 11:39 PM

Default $1 pocket 3\'s shorthanded. Played right?

BB seems kind of loose. I had seen him call an all-in with JTs after a raise and re-raise. Was the preflop raise correct? Was this a correct call? Thanks.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Hero (t3275)
CO (t4580)
Button (t2120)
SB (t1185)
BB (t1515)
UTG (t825)

Preflop: Hero is MP with 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t400</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to t1515</font>, Hero calls t1115.

Flop: (t3080) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Turn: (t3080) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: (t3080) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: t3080
Old 08-05-2007, 12:25 AM

Default Re: $1 pocket 3\'s shorthanded. Played right?

No and No...

33 is one of the worst hand to raise 6 handed especially in EP. Fold this..

And for the call, this is even worse than the EP raise
Old 08-05-2007, 12:29 AM

I think the raise is worse than the call but I wouldnt do either. You are raising into the chip leader and a guy you know is calling light.
Old 08-05-2007, 12:33 AM

It's not great raising this any time unless you're very hot postflop, but with a loose player to act behind you it's insane. You'll get plenty of chances to take his money at way better odds than a coinflip (at best).

Limp hoping to see a cheap flop with him in the hand, hit a set and stack him when he can't let go of bottom pair.
Old 08-05-2007, 12:40 AM

You need 1010+ AQ here,
Old 08-05-2007, 12:59 AM

Thanks. I wasn't sure if I should have been raising with any pair short handed or if I should just be raising with medium pairs or better.
Old 08-05-2007, 01:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks. I wasn't sure if I should have been raising with any pair short handed or if I should just be raising with medium pairs or better.

[/ QUOTE ]
Table dependent. You can get away with a raise if they're tight preflop and straightforward after, but it's rarely optimal.

Limping in encourages a multiway pot which is great with 33 - get away cheap or hit a set against multiple opponents, any one of whom may stack off with a second best hand. If it's raised behind you and you don't have the implied odds to call for set value, it ain't tough to fold 33 with 1BB invested.
Old 08-05-2007, 04:36 AM

I agree with everyone else. Raising up threes in this spot makes no sense. Think about what your raise is trying to accomplish, vs. limping (or just folding, which is probably best). You're risking 400 to win the 150 in the blinds with a hand that has little to no preflop value, but has a ton of postflop, multi-way value, which you're completely getting rid of with your raise. Your raise just seems completely backward and illogical.
Old 08-05-2007, 05:51 AM

Generally, raise 2.5x-3x with PP`s at this level
I would raise with 99+,AJ+ here and rarely limp with 4 left to act.
As played, I think we must call the push because of the potodds, but this is read-depended..I fold to a nit/reg.
Old 08-05-2007, 04:47 PM

Fold preflop (unless you think it will get limped around and you'll see a set mining flop). Definitely fold to the RRAI - that's just spew.

Really, think about this for a second:

It's a $1 STT so these guys are bad. You'll get a better chance to get some chips without trying to steal these blinds (which can be the only reason to raise PF here).

When you call, you are taking a coinflip (if you are lucky). Against any pair, any broadway, any connectors &gt;= 87, any Ace (a reasonable range for this particular villain), you are a 53/47 dog. Remember, you are a straight dog to JTs (again 53/47) with a pair this small. (Lesson: Tiny pairs suck when you call all in.)

50% of the time, you are the slight chipleader. That's good, but not really much better than your current situation. You took all the risk and only increased your overall equity slightly more than everyone else.

50% of the time, you are now in 4th of 7 and have only one move (open raise all in preflop), with the big stacks acting both before and after you. And the one two to your right is loose (your read), so your open-push opportunities will be slim.

Meaning you have to win a coinflip to have any real chance at finishing ITM, and in serious jeopardy of being hammered by the blinds before you get a good chance to shove. All because you raised 4BB preflop and called a shove with 33.