Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2007, 12:03 PM

Default Aerobic exercise for skinny bloke

I'm quite skinny 136 pounds and 5ft 7in but about normal for my height. I lift weights, but after playing football (soccer for our american friends) last night i am surprised at how unfit i am. At one point i thought my lungs were going to explode.

So im on a mision to sort it out. But my worry is that i will end up losing weight which i cannot afford to do.

So, what form of aerobic excercise do you recommend that will get me fit fast without making me lose weight.

I thought of maybe swimming, but im not sure. And how often etc?

Any ideas?
Old 08-04-2007, 12:13 PM

Default Re: Aerobic exercise for skinny bloke

Eat more to compensate for the additional calories you are expending.

You could start with running around like your playing football; sprints, etc.
Old 08-04-2007, 01:48 PM

Soccer is a fantastic sport that will get you in incredible condition, but it chews through calories at an incredible pace.

If you want to keep from losing too much weight, you'll need to eat like crazy, basically, for one. Also, you should do something that really stimulates release of growth hormone, a heavy, full-body exercise like deadlifts, or squats. Soccer will wear out your legs so much that squats could be overkill, so deads might be better. Do very little volume, do not train to failure, and lift very heavy(once you get your form right! be careful!).

If you really want to recover properly, and maybe even put on muscle, while regularly playing something as demanding as soccer, you should seriously reign in any partying you are doing, too. Cut out, or way back, booze, and most importantly, get plenty of sleep each day. (Note: booze interferes with sleep, so it's a double whammy to the system.) You can't build and repair as efficiently if you're polluting yourself and skimping on the sleep hours you need to do that building and repairing. Growing demands sleep.
Old 08-04-2007, 02:41 PM

Location: Clinging to the binomial theorem like a drunk to a lamppost

I have about the same body type as you: 5' 10", and my weight wobbles between 140 and 160. I was right at 150 at last check (two weeks ago).

[ QUOTE ]
So, what form of aerobic excercise do you recommend that will get me fit fast without making me lose weight.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just about any kind of exercise will make you burn more calories, to the best of my knowledge. You WILL have to eat more to compensate. Just keep it healthy (bananas ftw).

Back when I was in high school I would walk from home to school (about two kilometers) three or four times a week in the fall and spring. We spent a lot of time in PE in the weight room, and I would spend most of my time on the exercise bike and the ellipticals. I would say this did quite a bit for stamina for me. I haven't caught up with the exercise biking (or any kind of biking) since I went off to college (university) but my campus is so big and has so many hills that I get plenty of exercise just going from my room to my classes and labs or to town. (It's an 11-story elevation difference between downtown Troy and the RPI campus.)

Also, if you're going to play soccer in the summer, even at night, drink plenty of water/Gatorade. It's much easier to get worn down if you're dehydrated.

Cliff notes: walking, cycling, water.
Old 08-04-2007, 06:12 PM

www.crossfit.com

eat a lot