Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2007, 01:52 PM

Default Understanding Betting Patterns

I understand this is important, especially online. I find it hard to focus when staring at a monitor -- good thing the dialog box tracks the action.

Can anyone tell me how to better understand patterns and identify bluffs? Yes, I know it can be very player dependent, but are there standard patterns to look for either in general or by player type?

I suspect asking this question is like stepping in doodie, as it is vague and donkish.

But I'm hoping some of you will have some insight, even if it is just a description of a situation you have experienced that can shed some insight into understanding betting patterns, especially broken ones that suggest a bluff.

Thanks.
Old 08-04-2007, 12:46 AM

Default Re: Understanding Betting Patterns

Your putting to much emphasis on bluffs, they dont happen as often as you think, just put someone on a hand range and make bluffing a part of this range. If they do it often or it smells like a bluff assign a higher % to a bluff.
Old 08-04-2007, 12:50 AM

Actually, bluffs happen all the time, in terms of c-bet bluffs. But straight out bluffs for big amounts do not happen often, or as often as some people think.

Here's the most simple bluff betting pattern. Usually, when players who know how to be aggressive bet preflop, and you call them (let's say you are in position), your opponent will bet maybe 80 percent of flops. Some times they have it, sometimes they don't. But it is often good to reraise them with nothing, or call with a small something and raise the turn if they check. Or, if they give up a lot on the turn, even call them with nothing and raise the turn.

This is much harder to do out of position.
Old 08-04-2007, 03:04 AM

A few things to consider:

<u>General</u>
How does villain play a made hand?
How does villain play a drawing hand?
How does villain play a missed hand?

<u>More Specific</u>
How is vil playing his draws / big draws?
How does vil bet an overpair?
How does vil bet TPTK/TPWK/MP/two-pair?
How does vil bet a set?
how does vil play hands where missed flop completely?
How does vil play against a TAG player?
Is vil winning a lot of pots w/o showing down?
How is vil responding to agression, to attempts to steal?
Does vil size (in NL) preflop bets in revealing ways?
How does vil play in a big multi-way limped pot?

My advice: I narrate/announce hands in my head as they are happening. So I'll describe in my head the hand I'm seeing with the description needed to think through it, I try to add in -- (Villain 1 should call with any draw here) and eventually you get an idea of how someone is playing their hands.