Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2007, 10:15 PM

Default Playing against super-LAG opponents

I've been playing for a couple of months, mostly for fun and self improvement. I play the micro limits .2/.5 usually, and most of the time I come out of a session with 1 or 2 extra buyins. I noticed a huge leak in my game, though, and the reason I usually lose or break even in sessions where I'm ahead.
I'll stumble into a game with a player that raises every single hand, and bets a pot sized bet on every flop, no matter what it is. Of course, I notice the pattern after 2 or 3 hands, and decide to strip the fish of all his money. I call with hands that can hit big on the flop (top set, big draws, etc), and wait for a good spot to trap him and double up through him.

The problem is each preflop call costs me between 3 and 6 BBs, and most of the time I don't hit the flop or only hit a pair, and even against a lagtard I can't put all my money in the middle with crap. It's also impossible to bluff the guy by reraising him because he'll go all the way to showdown with very weak holdings like 6-high flushes, non-nut straights, etc. Sometimes I'll hit a good hand and get a good part of his stack, but other times (like today), I'll wait for 2 hours for a hand to trap him with, and never get one. Meanwhile, the 20c calls end up costing me a buyin and I didn't win a single penny from him.

One of my problems in PLO is that i'm not willing enough to put my money in the middle with non-nut hands like 2-pair, non-nut flushes, etc...against very tight opponents this usually works well because I can wait for the nuts to stack them. Against very agressive opponents, I just end up losing money instead of stripping the fish of his money like I intended.
Of course, I could just avoid playing these kind of games....but I'd like to be able to fight these players that pop pretty often in tables and are waiting for you to take their money.
Any tips to help me improve my game against super-agressive opponents? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 08-02-2007, 10:44 PM

Default Re: Playing against super-LAG opponents

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...ue#Post11485302
Old 08-03-2007, 01:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
One of my problems in PLO is that i'm not willing enough to put my money in the middle with non-nut hands like 2-pair, non-nut flushes, etc...

[/ QUOTE ]
This is the main leak. Catch any str8 (not the lowest probably), any 8 high flush, any top two pairs in a not very drawy board (like just FD or just ainbow SD) ang get it all.

And, the post above is really A+
Old 08-03-2007, 10:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
One of my problems in PLO is that i'm not willing enough to put my money in the middle with non-nut hands like 2-pair, non-nut flushes, etc...

[/ QUOTE ]
This is the main leak. Catch any str8 (not the lowest probably), any 8 high flush, any top two pairs in a not very drawy board (like just FD or just ainbow SD) ang get it all.

And, the post above is really A+

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that against the maniac, or general guidelines for 6-max?
Old 08-03-2007, 12:54 PM

yeah its about topic
indeed
Old 08-03-2007, 09:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Catch any str8 (not the lowest probably), any 8 high flush, any top two pairs in a not very drawy board (like just FD or just ainbow SD) and get it all.

[/ QUOTE ]

What if you call with dozens of hands, and you never hit any of those hands? After calling 10 times a 4BB raise and not getting anything, I'm already down to 60BBs (assuming I started with 100BBs), so I'm slowly bleeding to death [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 08-03-2007, 10:22 PM

then run better.
Old 08-04-2007, 09:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
then run better.

[/ QUOTE ]

And when that doesn't happen that's a good way to go on gagamonkey tilt.

Isn't table selection a big part of the equation here? If you don't like this type of opponent, make sure there are none or only one at your table.
Old 08-04-2007, 09:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Catch any str8 (not the lowest probably), any 8 high flush, any top two pairs in a not very drawy board (like just FD or just ainbow SD) and get it all.

[/ QUOTE ]

What if you call with dozens of hands, and you never hit any of those hands? After calling 10 times a 4BB raise and not getting anything, I'm already down to 60BBs (assuming I started with 100BBs), so I'm slowly bleeding to death [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Reload?
Old 08-04-2007, 10:33 PM

I have made a lot of money at times in online PLO playing the "fish" LAG style you describe. Raising 60-75 percent of hands, limping most of the rest. Continuation betting 3/4 the pot or more nearly every time.

If you can find a table where a lot of the players play like you, it is insanely profitable for a loose player.

The LAG just has to recognize when good tight players start taking appropriate action and play back light.