Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2007, 09:27 AM

Default $60: AK mess

Minraiser is unknown but squeezer is a pretty good regular.
I thought I was a little too deep to shove vs the UTG min raise, no? Squeezer should have a pretty tight range right? Fold?

Poker Stars
No Limit Holdem Tournament
Blinds: t50/t100
6 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: t2965
Hero: t2800
CO: t1285
Button: t2115
SB: t3085
BB: t1250

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is UTG+1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
<font color="#cc0000">UTG raises to t200</font>, Hero calls t200 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t350)</font>, CO folds, <font color="#cc0000">Button raises all-in t2115</font>, 3 folds, Hero?
Old 08-02-2007, 09:31 AM

Default Re: $60: AK mess

I call this, he can do that with TT+ also 550 chips dead...
Old 08-02-2007, 09:45 AM

750 dead.

you need to be good about 41.8% of the time. you are 40% vs TT+ AK.

by calling preflop you have pretty much announced that you do not have AA/KK/QQ, so i think villian can squeeze a bit lighter. he may also have a read that ug is laggy or whatever.

i doubt he pushes pre with AA. not sure what he would do with KK, probably just reraise with stacks so deep. so i would bet the farm he QQ JJ or AK. you have 46% equity vs this range.

i think call or fold are about equal.
Old 08-02-2007, 09:52 AM

With &lt;30BB a reraise should be AI so you're not too deep to push over the first raise. The fact that it was a minraise makes the push a little OTT but not much - a PSR would be 750, which is only a bit short of 1/3 of your stack (a suggested cutoff for pushing instead of raising).

Push or call the first time depends on the table and UTG - push to isolate or call to play post-flop - both look fine.

After the push - there's 2665 in the pot with 1915 to call so you need 42% equity to be +cEV, more to be +$EV (haven't run ICM, but maybe ~47%).

This depends on button's range, but he has to be pushing pretty loose for this to be a good call. You're 41% against {99+, AK}, 45% if you remove AA/KK from this range, and 48% against {22+, AJs+, AQo+}. I doubt you can discount AA/KK as there is no reason to think he'd be less likely to push these here.

Fold.
Old 08-02-2007, 11:04 AM

Crappy spot. I call and load up another one, baby! Actually, it's totally player dependent. Do I give the guy credit for being able to do this w/ KK, AA? If so, you could certainly fold. If UTG is bad, btw, I'd be less likely to think the pusher has AA, KK cause UTG might just call a reraise w/ lesser hands so the squeezer might just reraise normal.

Ryan
Old 08-02-2007, 11:11 AM

Honestly I'd be willing to bet this spot is so close that it just doesn't matter a ton what you do long term. Little John's post was good and it demonstrates how fudging his range just a little can swing your equity enough to make this either a call or a fold.

Readless, I'd prooobably call just because you said UTG is an unknown. I think that opens button's range a bit if he's a good player. He probably recognizes you as such and knows you probably don't have AA/KK here, and if UTG is unknown/sucks he could have a wide enough range to not have a monster here as well.

If UTG were a good player, it might swing this to a fold, as an UTG raise coming from a solid player obviously looks stronger than one coming from an unknown.
Old 08-02-2007, 11:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Honestly I'd be willing to bet this spot is so close that it just doesn't matter a ton what you do long term. Little John's post was good and it demonstrates how fudging his range just a little can swing your equity enough to make this either a call or a fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. I do think however that the squeezer's range could definitely include KK, and plenty of people would push AA also (figuring in the dead chips plus good chance of someone calling due to all the dead chips). I would put his range on AKo+, JJ+.

-BK
Old 08-02-2007, 11:55 AM

I'm normally happy when I call these squeeze plays with AK. If he had a few less chips I would be much happier about it but I'm getting my chips in here.
Old 08-02-2007, 12:13 PM

I think you need to weight this in favour of AA/KK, not against it. An EP raise and a caller is a great spot to push with AA - I did it earlier today on the first hand of the tourney because you're so likely to get a caller in that spot (got called by AK).

If I had a reason to call rather than push against UTG (ie he's not loose and won't call with AQ), then button may have the same read and be stronger than we might expect here. If pushing against UTG would have been a better move for us, then calling the push might also be an OK move.
Old 08-02-2007, 12:24 PM

I put squeezer on TT+ AK at loosest and decided to fold since I was still in really good shape. Glad most people think it's close. Everyone like the flat call?