Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2007, 09:23 AM

Default $114: KK, guess flop

Since everyone failed my quiz yesterday you get a 2nd chance with a more remedial version. Good luck.
Unknown villain. Note that I also picked up the nut flush draw on the turn.

Poker Stars
No Limit Holdem Tournament
Blinds: t10/t20
9 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: t1730
UTG+1: t1280
MP1: t1500
MP2: t1780
MP3: t1270
CO: t1400
Button: t1560
Hero: t1480
BB: t1500

Pre-flop: (9 players) Hero is SB with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
2 folds, MP1 calls t20 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t30)</font>, <font color="#cc0000">MP2 raises to t80</font>, 3 folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to t240</font>, 2 folds, MP2 calls t160 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t360)</font>.

Flop: 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (t520, 2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">MP2 bets t260</font>, Hero calls t260 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t780)</font>.

Turn: 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (t1040, 2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">MP2 bets t300</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises all-in t980</font>
Old 08-02-2007, 09:35 AM

Default Re: $114: KK, guess flop

haha, i got it right today. all this poker studying is really paying off when i can guess flops of hands i have not played....

anyway, i just call the turn. i dont think you ever fold a better hand and there really are not many river cards that are gonna give you a problem. plus you have good showdown value.
Old 08-02-2007, 09:44 AM

I fold at the flop bet, you really beat JJ only here.
As played your push seems a bit desperate since I don't see what he could possibly lay down, while u have odds to just call.
Old 08-02-2007, 09:55 AM

I bet the flop but fold to a reraise. I just don't believe my kings are god here. Did he raise pf with nothing? No. Did he call your preflop reraise with nothing? No. He probably has something.
Old 08-02-2007, 10:45 AM

One always brings oneself in tough situations if u dont bet these flop. Every semi competent player immediately knows what u have. Just bet half potish on the flop and give up if called.
After u check you will keep up playing levelling games, cuz your hand is face up.
Old 08-02-2007, 10:57 AM

Bet the flop and fold to a raise. You're not gonna check the flop if you have AK. As played, I guess I'd lead the turn all in rather than CR'ing.

Ryan
Old 08-02-2007, 11:04 AM

Yeah, I check a lot of flops in situations like this, I might would check here anyway but if there's ever a spot to bet/fold KK on an A-high flop this might be it.

As played through the turn, I'd rather call than CR, just because I don't think CR'ing serves much of a purpose really. If he folds getting such good odds, I think it's pretty likely that KK is the best hand. I don't think you have much FE at all here and I really don't see you getting called when you're ahead ever, although you do obviously have outs. Like ryan said, if you're trying to get your stack in as a semi-bluff, I think shoving the turn first to act would be better. After you check, I think the move is to call.
Old 08-02-2007, 12:15 PM

I thought betting a flop like this wasn’t a good idea. He could raise w/ a draw etc?
I now see the CRAI on the turn wasn’t great. Either push or just call his bet (what if he went allin?). I assume we call any river and push if we make the flush?
Old 08-02-2007, 12:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I thought betting a flop like this wasn’t a good idea. He could raise w/ a draw etc?
I now see the CRAI on the turn wasn’t great. Either push or just call his bet (what if he went allin?). I assume we call any river and push if we make the flush?

[/ QUOTE ]

i cant imagine pushing the turn will ever fold a better hand so i really dont see the point.
Old 08-02-2007, 12:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i cant imagine pushing the turn will ever fold a better hand so i really dont see the point.

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably not. This is why betting the flop solves basically all problems in the hand.