Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Limit-->NL
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2007, 08:17 AM

Default I also play NL bad - hand review

Villian is 11.5/7.7 Is this pf call bad? The other two players are bad.

Prima Poker skin
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.25/$0.50
6 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is SB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, <font color="#cc0000">CO raises to $2</font>, Button calls, Hero calls, BB folds, UTG calls.

Flop: 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($8.5, 4 players)
Hero checks, UTG checks, <font color="#cc0000">CO bets $4.25</font>, Button folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $10</font>, UTG folds, CO calls.

Turn: T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($28.5, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $25</font>, <font color="#cc0000">CO raises all-in $49.55</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero calls all-in $19.36</font>.
Uncalled bets: $5.19 returned to CO.

River: 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($117.22, 0 player + 2 all-in - Main pot: $117.22)

Results:
Final pot: $117.22
Old 08-02-2007, 08:32 AM

Default Re: I also play NL bad - hand review

I would fold preflop. You could have implied odds to play as the pot is getting big so that you do not need too much later, but if there is a reraise your goose is cooked. You are OOP.
Old 08-02-2007, 09:05 AM

PF is debatable but not horrid ... the rest looks fine
Old 08-02-2007, 09:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Is the flop raise ok, or should we raise it more since Villain is getting almost 4-1 on the flop call and we would still have enough behind for a PSB on the turn?

Also, without reads, is this a standard bet/call on the turn UI?
Old 08-02-2007, 10:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Is the flop raise ok, or should we raise it more since Villain is getting almost 4-1 on the flop call and we would still have enough behind for a PSB on the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I don't like the flop line at all. I doubt a T is good, maybe not a Q either, you have no straight draw, and with the paired board your (non-nut) flush outs are not clean.

Now, even with a hand that's not a monster like this, a semi-bluff can be +EV if you have enough fold equity. Your bet is practically a minraise, and you're begging him to call.

But he's giving you 3:1. If you think you can get another bet out of him you can call this. Though you'll probably have to fold the turn to continued pressure if a J or a [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] doesn't fall.

About the turn, you can be pretty sure he's got a 9 or an overpair, the T actually did improve you, and I would check and see what he does. I think you can give yourself 9-10 outs here when thinking about continuing.

$0.02
Old 08-02-2007, 10:29 AM

Against a villain that tight, you have to question how much you could get in the pot, even if you hit something good. I'd fold preflop.
Old 08-02-2007, 10:34 AM

This hand is a good example of how a small pre-flop mistake can turn into a catastrophe. Being OOP with draws and marginal hands is not how you make the big monies in NL.
Old 08-02-2007, 10:48 AM

Preflop is a standard fold. QTs is a huge trap hand and playing oop to a raise is generally bad.

The flop raise is pretty horrid. Either just flat call, or make a real raise.

The bad thing about making a real raise here is that this guy is pretty nitty, so if he calls and we miss the turn we're pretty much smoked to his overpair all the time.

A flat call on the flop might scare him into checking the turn, or bet smaller for value and give us odds to draw out.

A raise pretty much forces him to play perfectly because he's not folding a hand that beats us, and probably not calling (at least not the turn) with AK/AQ unimproved.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
The bet is questionable, although after c/r the flop i'm not sure how else we can play it. The call is automatic because we're getting like 5.3:1 and we figure to probably have 11 outs, making us 1:3.2 dogs.
Old 08-02-2007, 10:49 AM

Folding preflop is prb what I''d suggest while still learning the game. I'll fold here pretty frequently. Both calling and folding have thier pros and cons.

If you call your absolute position will be bad thru the whole hand. And your hand isn't that great -- it doesnt have much TP power, flush power or straight power. There are worse hands, but there are better.

On the other hand, the implied odds seem decent. You didn't post stack sizes, so I'm assuming 100 BBs all the way around. (Stack sizes are a critical consideration on every single hand, not including them is akin to not including your own cards.) Also your relative position is pretty good (there is one coldcaller btw you and the PFR, giving you a virtual button postflop), although since it looks like the openlimper will prb come if you call, your rel position is somewhat weakened.

Semi-bluff checkraising the flop is good, but I would have made it more: $15 or even all-in. A minraise is pretty bad because most hands that aren't complete air will be correct to call. Why all-in? Because if you raise say to 20, and eff stacks were 56 at the start, and the opponent calls the raise, you are left with $34 in a ~$48 pot. If a brick comes on the turn what are you going to do? You dont have enough left to have any FE when you bet so betting is -EV, and check-calling isn't great either getting 2:1 on a 4:1 shot.