Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2007, 05:24 AM

Default Whats my next move...?

Hello fellow 2p2ers,

I've been working in Sales now for just over a year. It turns out I'm a [censored] salesman, as I can't sell anything to anyone. At the moment I'm in a position where the management like me and are keeping me around even though I'm not selling.

The problem is I really hate the constant rejection and lies from clients that I have to endure. I receive absolutely no job satisfaction.

Ive been playing poker since April and am a losing player at -5PTBB/100 hands over 15000 hands. This is at 25NL. All in all im down about 1000 dollars in poker.

I started bonus whoring recently and have had great success with it. I've made a little less than 1000 dollars in 14 days.

I'm the kind of person that would sit in front of his computers 16 hours a day and be completely comfortable with it. I realise that there not that much money I can make bonus whoring, I will probably max out at 10K after like 4 months.

My current job pays me 800USD per month for 8 hours a day of sitting in a chair and cold calling clients and booking appointments and trying to sell them products.

I'm also studying full time towards a degree in Financial Management.

I can theoretically have expenses of at most 200 dollars a month.

I have about 2K life savings right now.

My question is:

1) Is it viable to quit my job now and whore up 10K and do my utmost to become a decent winning poker player in the time it takes me to do that? I also have the ability to make money online via websites and Internet marketing and such.

Thank you guys!
[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 08-02-2007, 06:05 AM

Default Re: Whats my next move...?

dear god whatever you do dont quit your job to try and be a 25nl pro

work your way up to being a winning play at at least 100nl over 100,000 hands before even considering doing this
Old 08-02-2007, 06:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My current job pays me 800USD per month for 8 hours a day of sitting in a chair and cold calling clients and booking appointments and trying to sell them products.

[/ QUOTE ]

How many days a week is this? You can not possibly be working 5 days a week doing this or you are earning $5 an hour.

[ QUOTE ]
1) Is it viable to quit my job now and whore up 10K and do my utmost to become a decent winning poker player in the time it takes me to do that?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it isn't viable. A downswing and then you go broke. What the [censored] are you going to do when you are broke and have no money and no other source of income. Everyone has big downswings - larger than they ever thought possible. It is really tough, but if it is your sole source of income when it happens, you will be seriously fu)cked.

I hope you don't screw up your life mate. It happens to an alarming number of people. Good luck.
Old 08-02-2007, 06:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
dear god whatever you do dont quit your job to try and be a 25nl pro

work your way up to being a winning play at at least 100nl over 100,000 hands before even considering doing this

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-02-2007, 07:09 AM

To the poster that asked about my hourly wage. Yes it does work out to be 5 dollars per hour. I work five days a week, 8 hours a day, at 5 dollars per hour.

A balla friend of mine has made over 100K this year playing poker. He has just recently moved into a balla apartment on the beach. He has offered that I can come stay with him for 70 dollars a month which includes free food. To catch is that I haveto cook and clean for him.

I will still be able to continue my University studies there as I'm doing correspondence. I will be able to sit through all his coaching sessions where he is coaching or being coached at the ludicrous rates that get charged for this, for FREE.

I'm 21 years old and live with my parents
Old 08-02-2007, 08:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
To the poster that asked about my hourly wage. Yes it does work out to be 5 dollars per hour. I work five days a week, 8 hours a day, at 5 dollars per hour.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't live in the U.S., but isn't that a little low?

[ QUOTE ]
He has offered that I can come stay with him for 70 dollars a month which includes free food. To catch is that I haveto cook and clean for him.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would find it tough to be someones maid, but if you were really getting knowledge, this would be worth it.

[ QUOTE ]
I will still be able to continue my University studies there as I'm doing correspondence. I will be able to sit through all his coaching sessions where he is coaching or being coached at the ludicrous rates that get charged for this, for FREE.

[/ QUOTE ]

My main issue here is that they won't be discussing the fundamentals at his level. You need to know how to beat the 25nl game, then the 50nl game, then the 100nl game, etc. At each level you learn new concepts and build upon those so that by the time you get to 400nl (or wherever), many many of the earlier fundamental concepts are just accepted as understood, yet you would not get this because during his coaching, he doesn't even discuss stuff that would seem so basic to him, but is HUGE FUNDAMENTAL CONCEPT TO YOU as a low limit player still learning fundamentals.

If he is willing to coach you for ah hour a day while you actually play to help *your game*, then this would be 100% worth it. I'm not sure that just watching someone that is so far ahead of you that you can not possibly apply it at your level is even worth it.
Old 08-02-2007, 09:14 AM

Your insights are very valuable to me JackAll,

I dont think he will do an hour a day with me. I might however be able to give me 2 hours a week.

A lot of the concepts I dont fully understand. I will only seriously consider the offer once I've hit 1000 dollars a month two months in a row. I should at that time have more of the basics understood.

This could potentially change my life for the extreme better or for the extreme worse. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I live in South Africa and the 5 dollars per hour isn't too bad a wage here. For me it does suck, hence why I'm trying to dig myself out of this "normal" kind of wage and life.

The degree for me is a priority. I'm finding it really difficult to juggle poker, full time work, full time study and a social life which borders on intermittant at best. If this poker thing works I'l have more time for socializing as I will have my finances sorted.

Is 1K a month from poker good enough to jump into this in the way I described?
Old 08-02-2007, 09:56 AM

I've been in sales for a long time. With rejection, remember that the 2nd best answer you can get is "NO."

Seriously, if you want to vent or ask some questions of someone not directly involved with your job, PM me. I've been a sales trainer for years. Maybe I can give you some ideas that'll help.
Old 08-03-2007, 05:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes it does work out to be 5 dollars per hour. I work five days a week, 8 hours a day, at 5 dollars per hour.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't care what you do with poker. Quit this job.

You said you were in school, do that. If you manage to whore a couple K on the side...more power to you. If you really want to make a go at poker:

Study
Make Balla Friend sweat your play
Study
Read
Ask Balla Friend if he'll be back from the beach in the next couple of hours so he can sweat your play
Read
Study

Feel free to mix-it up as you see fit.

Quit your job.
Old 08-03-2007, 05:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Your insights are very valuable to me JackAll

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, yea despite me making my living off other people losing, it's pretty sad that people really screw up their lives playing poker. Hoping you are not one of them.

[ QUOTE ]
A lot of the concepts I dont fully understand. I will only seriously consider the offer once I've hit 1000 dollars a month two months in a row. I should at that time have more of the basics understood.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess I should explain a big more of what I mean by "basics" because it is actually a amount of knowledge that you can not possibly pick up in a month. Thinks like knowing equity of pretty much every "type" of hand against other "types" of hands, what range of hands to raise, and what to 3-bet pf and what to call, how to play against each "type" of opponent, etc. It's a rather massive amount of information, which I (maybe incorrectly) termed "basics" because this is stuff that is just assumed to be understood by any decent 200nl player and up. There is no way you can grasp even a fraction of this in a month.

[ QUOTE ]
This could potentially change my life for the extreme better or for the extreme worse. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, careful it isn't the latter. This happens far more often than you realise, and with pretty scary consequences sometimes.

[ QUOTE ]
I live in South Africa and the 5 dollars per hour isn't too bad a wage here. For me it does suck, hence why I'm trying to dig myself out of this "normal" kind of wage and life.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, you can give this a shot, but I just don't see it working. Sorry to be discouraging, but it really is a tough game and you need to hear the truth man.

[ QUOTE ]
The degree for me is a priority. I'm finding it really difficult to juggle poker, full time work, full time study and a social life which borders on intermittant at best. If this poker thing works I'l have more time for socializing as I will have my finances sorted.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea I understand. Please keep studies as the highest priority. Don't screw up your future like so many others.

[ QUOTE ]
Is 1K a month from poker good enough to jump into this in the way I described?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would have to say no. I think your best bet is to keep doing everything you do now (including work), and just spend time learning. Ask your friend what his pre-flop strategy is, and to explain a fundamental concept to you each day/week/whatever. Like

- how to play each of these types of hands: big pairs, low pairs, big non-pairs (AK type hands), sutied connectors, sutied 1-gappers, suited-aces
- also you need to practice putting people on hand ranges
- understand how to play big hands, marginal good hands, and draws on the flop.
- etc

One concept at a time will help you enormously. I would start with pre-flop hand range.

During this time, don't quit your job because it takes a long time to learn. Far far more than 1 month.

Good luck. Hope things work out for you.