Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > BBV4Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2007, 04:33 AM

Default My thoughts on Cinco de Mayo

Cinco de Mayo

Cinco de Mayo ("The Fifth of May" in Spanish) is primarily a regional, and not a federal, holiday in Mexico;[1][2][3] the date is observed in the United States and other locations around the world as a celebration of Mexican heritage and pride. It commemorates an initial victory of Mexican forces led by General Ignacio Zaragoza Seguín over French forces in the Battle of Puebla on May 5, 1862.

However, the Mexican victory at Puebla only delayed the French invasion of Mexico City, and a year later, the French occupied Mexico. The French occupying forces placed Maximilian I, Emperor of Mexico on the throne of Mexico; Maximillian and the French were eventually defeated and expelled in 1867 (Maximilian was executed), five years after the Battle of Puebla.

A common misconception in the United States is that Cinco de Mayo is Mexico's Independence Day; Mexico's Independence Day is September 16 (dieciséis de septiembre in Spanish).

Contents [hide]
1 Observances
1.1 Mexico
1.2 United States
2 References
3 External links

[edit] Observances

[edit] Mexico
Cinco de Mayo is viewed as a relatively minor holiday in most of Mexico, and it is observed, if at all, in varying degrees.[1][3] The holiday is celebrated vigorously in the city of Puebla, Puebla, where the battle was fought, and in the state of Puebla; celebration is more limited or non-existent in the rest of the country.[4] For the most part the celebrations combine food, drink, music and dancing.

[edit] United States
In the United States, Cinco de Mayo has taken on a significance beyond that in Mexico.[2][5][6] Commercial interests in the United States have capitalized on the celebration, advertising Mexican products and services, with an emphasis on beverages, foods, and music.[7][8] The date is perhaps best recognized in the United States as a date to celebrate the culture and experiences of Americans of Mexican ancestry, much as St. Patrick's Day, Oktoberfest, and the Chinese New Year are used to celebrate those of Irish, German, and Chinese ancestry, respectively. As a result, the holiday is observed by many Americans regardless of ethnic origins, especially in cities and states where there is a large population of Mexican ancestry. Although it is not an official holiday, many cities with large populations of Mexican ancestry honor the day as a symbolic representation of Mexican pride and as a representation of a culture that blends both Mexican and American roots. Celebrations tend to draw both from traditional Mexican symbols, such as the Virgin de Guadalupe, and from prominent figures of Mexican descent in the United States, such as César Chávez.[9]

The reference to the Battle of Puebla is seen perhaps as a symbolic cultural link to those who had to overcome significant odds while facing adversity. In such neighborhoods as East Los Angeles, the Mission District of San Francisco, East San Jose, all in California, and elsewhere throughout the Southwest, Cinco de Mayo is best characterized as a day of celebration to honor a culture that fuses Mexican heritage and American life experience. To celebrate, many display Cinco de Mayo banners while school districts hold special events to educate pupils about its historical significance. Special events and celebrations highlight Mexican culture, especially in its music and regional dancing. Examples include ballet folklórico and mariachi demonstrations held annually at the Plaza del Pueblo de Los Angeles, near Olvera Street.

[edit] References
^ a b "The anniversary of the victory is celebrated only sporadically in Mexico." Accessed May 5, 2007.
^ a b "In historical terms, the battle that communities across America are preparing to celebrate this weekend isn't that significant, says John Renteria, director of Centro Civico Mexicano. The May 5, 1862, Battle of Puebla is barely even noticed in Mexico, Renteria said. But the celebration of the defeat of French invaders by an outnumbered Mexican army, led by a Texas-born general, is becoming distinctly American. "It's become more of a cultural, commercial phenomenon in terms of building awareness and educating the public about the Mexican culture," Renteria said. "It's really a U.S. day, not a Mexico thing, and that's fine with us." Statement by Mexican Consular official Accessed May 8, 2007.
^ a b "I have yet to see any big hoopla occur on May 5." Accessed May 5, 2007
^ "[Cinco de Mayo] is primarily a regional holiday celebrated in the Mexican state capital city of Puebla and throughout the state of Puebla, with some limited recognition in other parts of Mexico." Accessed May 5, 2007
^ "Cinco de Mayo has become more of [an American] holiday than a Mexican one." accessed May 5, 2007
^ "Cinco de Mayo has become a day for celebrating Mexican culture in the United States, and celebrations there easily outshine those in Mexico." Accessed May 8, 2007
^ "From my perspective as a marketing professional, Cinco de Mayo has morphed into a national holiday designed by Fifth Avenue to sell alcohol and excite consumership around a party-type theme." Accessed May 5, 2007.
^ "Cinco de Mayo is not just a fiesta anymore, the gringos have taken it on as a good sales pitch." Smithsonian Institution paper Accessed May 8, 2007. "It's a commercial entry point for people who want to penetrate the Latino market," said Felix Gutierrez, a journalism professor at the University of Southern California's Annenberg School for Communication in Los Angeles." Ahorre.com Accessed May 8, 2007.
^ In some locations with significant non-Mexican hispanic communities, such as Florida, the celebration has grown to include non-Mexicans. Ahorre.com Accessed May 8, 2007.

[edit] External links
External resources about Cinco De Mayo
National Cinco de Mayo Festival is held every year in Washington, DC, hosted by the Maru Montero Dance Company.

Cinco de mayo

Saltar a navegación, búsqueda
El Cinco de Mayo es una fecha significativa en la historia de México: la Batalla de Puebla. Marca la primera vez que el Ejército Mexicano pudo derrotar a una potencia extranjera mejor preparada. La batalla tuvo lugar en la actual ciudad de Puebla de Zaragoza el 5 de mayo de 1862, entre los ejércitos de México y Francia.

En junio de 1861, el Congreso mexicano, a iniciativa del presidente Benito Juárez, había declarado la suspensión por un lapso de dos años del pago de la deuda internacional. España, Inglaterra y Francia, los principales acreedores, protestaron ante esa medida; sin embargo, Inglaterra y España lograron negociar por la vía diplomática los términos y condiciones en los que se pagaría la deuda posteriormente. Napoleón III, gobernante de Francia, decidió invadir México para establecer una monarquía favorable a Francia. Con ese fin, debía disolver el Gobierno Constitucional Mexicano y colocar a un rey que respetara su autoridad, eligiendo para ello a Maximiliano de Habsburgo, que no podía aspirar al trono del Imperio Austrohúngaro. En abril de 1862 los franceses descendieron en Veracruz, y emprendieron la campaña militar hacia el centro de la República. La primera batalla importante tuvo lugar en Acultzingo, en el límite de los Estados de Veracruz y Puebla.

¿Por qué se celebra la batalla del Cinco de Mayo? [editar]Porque fue la primera vez que las tropas imperiales de Napoleón III caían vencidas, demostrando que no eran invencibles. Y fueron vencidas por un grupo en desventaja militar y numérica, para mayor deshonra de Napoleón III. Sin embargo, no es un día feriado en todo el país. En Puebla, por razones obvias, se celebra año con año el Cinco de Mayo, algunas veces incluso recreando la batalla, pero no en el resto de México. En los Estados Unidos de América, en cambio, se celebró al principio sólo en los estados del Sur que fueron parte de México, como California, Nuevo México y Texas, con especial fuerza en este último; aunque en la actualidad esta celebracion se lleva a cabo en otros estados de la Union Americana, esto es debido al incremento de la poblacion inmigrante de origen mexicano. La razón obvia es que Zaragoza nació en lo que hoy es la ciudad de Goliad, antes Presidio de la Bahía del Espíritu Santo, en Texas, cuando esa provincia formaba parte del estado de Coahuila y Texas..

La celebracion en Estados Unidos [editar]La comunidad chicana lo adoptó como celebración a fines de la década de 1960, cuando se buscaba una celebración que les permitiera identificar sus orígenes.

Obtenido de "http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinco_de_mayo"
Categoría: Cultura de México
Old 08-02-2007, 04:35 AM

Default Re: My thoughts on Cinco de Mayo

Old 08-02-2007, 04:43 AM

i am brushing my teeth currently, this was my recent thought process

1. ooh new post, by aram. . . cinco de mayo? who cares! whatever il read it theres nothing else
2. now i will put my mosue pointer on the link and click it
3. hmm the page is loading
4. ok it loaded long post!
5. ...
6. SPIT OUT TOOTHPASTE ON COMPUTER SCREEN!!! lols its the wikipedia
7. lol that was funny, ill make a bad reply to make him know that his post was good
8. bad because im tired i guess
9. and hungry
10. f oot
11. etc
12. ???
13. its too late to eat cause im brushing my teeth
14. and food tastes bad after u brush ur teeth
15. lol donkaments
16. etc
Old 08-02-2007, 07:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]

1. ooh new post, by aram. . . cinco de mayo? who cares! whatever il read it theres nothing else
5. ...
7. lol that was funny, ill make a bad reply to make him know that his post was good
9. and hungry
10. f oot
11. etc
12. ???
15. lol donkaments
16. etc

[/ QUOTE ]

You typed all that while you brushed?
Old 08-02-2007, 09:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]

5. ...
9. and hungry
10. f oot
11. etc
12. ???
15. lol donkaments
16. etc

[/ QUOTE ]

That's your longest post ever Edd!

Edit: tl;dr
Old 08-02-2007, 09:54 AM

Timely info.

My Cinco de Augusto will be much better for it.

Turn up the Cafe Tacuba, guerro.