Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2007, 04:27 AM

Default Real world difference: dvi vs vga

I'm going to get a 204b, and I was just curious if other people have tried their monitors on vga then dvi. Were you actually able to notice any difference in games, movies, and in regular applications?
Old 08-02-2007, 07:55 AM

Default Re: Real world difference: dvi vs vga

DVI is easier to plug in.
Old 08-02-2007, 11:05 AM

I have a 204b and used vga for a while when I had an old graphics card. Haven't noticed that much between the two but it certainly doesn't hurt to use dvi.
Old 08-02-2007, 11:37 AM

At high resolutions, you should be able to notice the difference between VGA and DVI. A little bit of the fuzziness will go away when you're using the digital signal.

I would also think that it would help a little with your refresh rate when playing game and movies. So you won't get the "ghosting". Just because it can stay purely digital and it doesn't have to be converted to analog.
Old 08-02-2007, 12:11 PM

I briefly had 2x 204b's running side by side. The difference was as clear as day and night. Colours look washed out via VGA and the overall brightness/contrast and clarity was nowhere near the quality seen on DVI. They were both running at the same settings though so I don't know whether proper individual calibration was required to get the most out analog.
Old 08-02-2007, 12:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Colours look washed out via VGA and the overall brightness/contrast and clarity was nowhere near the quality seen on DVI. They were both running at the same settings though so I don't know whether proper individual calibration was required to get the most out analog.

[/ QUOTE ]

Any difference in color/brightness/contrast is simply a matter of settings. Monitors will have diffeerent settings for each input and you have to tweak them.

DVI is much better though. Really the main way you can see it is just in an application like Word. Look at black text on a white background. With DVI you will see perfect blacks against perfect whites. With an analog (VGA) signal you will be able to see "ringing" , that is a big of a gray ghost coming off the letters.

You will only see this when pushing the analog to high res & high refresh rates.

Also analog is much more susceptible to E&M noise, the cables can pick up interference.