Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2007, 10:33 AM

Default Play with few bb

Hi! I'm normally a small sakes player. Was railbirding a 30/60 game and noticed something I thought was weird. A lot of players were playing short of money. They bought in for like 5-600 and if they lost a pot they kept on playing with like 3bb. I was just wondering if their is a rational reason for this. Or are they just 'fish'?
Old 08-01-2007, 11:48 AM

Default Re: Play with few bb

I can understand this if I had made a conscious decision prior to playing that I would only allow myself to lose my initial buy-in, but I don't know what these people are thinking.
Old 08-01-2007, 11:58 AM

i know a lot of people at my 25-50 game always buy in for the minimum... I think they are playing way over their bankroll and just want to try to get lucky by only investing $200 or so to make it to the river... if they double up they play kind of normal... if they lose, they decide whether they want to take another "shot" at it and buy in for another $200- $300
Old 08-01-2007, 12:04 PM

I think it's very common to see fishes buy in short to take a shot (or more). Usually when the stakes are such that loosing the money actually hurts, but that doesn't stop the fish from playing (luckily).
Old 08-01-2007, 12:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi! I'm normally a small sakes player. Was railbirding a 30/60 game and noticed something I thought was weird. A lot of players were playing short of money. They bought in for like 5-600 and if they lost a pot they kept on playing with like 3bb. I was just wondering if their is a rational reason for this. Or are they just 'fish'?

[/ QUOTE ]

People that do this are fish. A good player could probably take advantage of playing a short stack, but none actually do.
Old 08-01-2007, 01:28 PM

Barry Greenstein has often advocated playing a short stack, in limit. i think he makes mention of the strategy in Ace on the River but i am not sure.

I think in loose preflop games, short stacking limit can be similar to short stacking NL, though the inherent edge gained is smaller in the former.

as you move up stakes live, the amount of BB the average joe buys in for steadily decreases, until perhaps the nosebleed stakes. odds are these guys are just average players (average meaning losers but only modestly), i don't think buying in fairly short signifies a straight-up fish or a greenstain protege for the most part.
Old 08-01-2007, 01:59 PM

Some of my favs to play against are short buy ins in LHE. They are generally way too loose and keep rebuying in short.
Old 08-01-2007, 02:17 PM

I see people buy in short over and over again all the time where I play and I just don't get it.
If you are going to rebuy back in for $100 every time you bust why not just sit down with $400 to begin with?

I like to have some chips in front of me and won't even bother sitting at a game unless I have at least 30BB to start and some more in reserve for a one time rebuy back up to 30BB if things go way south early.
Old 08-02-2007, 05:41 AM

Tnx guys. Sounds like it's not a strategy I should copy.