Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2007, 09:45 AM

Default NL 5 - Firing on all street = spew at uNL?

Been trying too improve parts of my game like aggression and bluffing when a good chance arrives.

Just wondering if this is the sort of situation that is good to attempt it or should i give up on the turn or river?

Looking at the HH my bet sizing looks a bit small, or is it enough to get the job done?

4th hand at the table so no clue on Villan.

Party Poker - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.02/$0.04 Blinds - 9 Players - (LegoPoker HH Converter)

SB: $5.35
BB: $11.62
UTG: $4.68
UTG+1: $5.12
MP1: $1.94
MP2: $2.32
MP3: $1.42
CO: $6.47
Hero (BTN): $5.19

Preflop: Hero is dealt 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (9 Players)
3 folds, MP2 calls $0.04, 2 folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $0.20</font>, SB folds, BB calls $0.16, MP2 folds

Flop: ($0.46) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)
BB checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $0.36</font>, BB calls $0.36

Turn: ($1.18) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players)
BB checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $0.80</font>, BB calls $0.80

River: ($2.78) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)
BB checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $2.00</font>
Old 08-01-2007, 09:51 AM

Default Re: NL 5 - Firing on all street = spew at uNL?

You don't represent anything really. Your play is based on the hope that villain will fold to your display of pure agression. And he obviously likes his hand. So he probably isn't going to fold.
I don't know why you raise this preflop, actually. That hand isn't worth the name suited connector. The board is very low and pretty connected. So villain has a reason to believe that you didn't hit and probably a draw which gives him an additional reason to call. The turn card makes the board even more connected and it's still not a high card which you could use as a scare card. At this point, you hope that villain is putting you on a PP. If he actually does that, he knows that the river card didn't help you. AK would have checked behind on the turn.

Probably your villain doesn't even think that much but calls down with any piece of the board. That's why this line is -EV, imo. If villain actually thought about this stuff, your line would still be -EV for the given reasons.
i think you should pick better spots. And on limits that low, most people have a hard time folding preflop after they've limped in. Esp. when it's "just 16c".
Old 08-01-2007, 09:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
4th hand at the table so no clue on Villan.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just realized: this alone makes your play horrible. You have no image, you don't know anything about villain. So why do you think you can bluff him? Only bluff people who can fold. You want to have seen him fold. Preferrably in a sizeable pot.
Old 08-01-2007, 09:58 AM

What about checking the turn and then firing when the king hits?
Old 08-01-2007, 10:04 AM

if you are serious about trying to improve then fold this [censored] preflop
Old 08-01-2007, 10:07 AM

This would also be spew on NL25, NL50 and NL100. AT NL10 you will be probably called with 94o.

I know because I sometimes make the same mistake. Like some people fall in love with their hand I fall in love with the idea that villain can be pushed off a hand. Since the players are bad it does not work often enough to be profitable.
Old 08-01-2007, 10:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What about checking the turn and then firing when the king hits?

[/ QUOTE ]

That would certainly be more credible. In general, if you are bluffing, you should pick a line that is coherent with a strong holding. At the same time you should pick an opponent who you think will realize this. Making multiple street bluffes on 5NL isn't necessary for a good winrate. Make sure that your bluffs on the flop and turn can be rated as semi-bluffs. save the pure bluffs for the last bet, if you absolutely want to do it.
Old 08-01-2007, 10:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
if you are serious about trying to improve then fold this [censored] preflop

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh and this is also true. And also probably the root why you botched the hand. Subcontiously (I hope you know that you are not supposed to play this hand in NL10) you wanted to wiggle out of the first mistake by being "creative".
Old 08-01-2007, 10:14 AM

I thought any SC on the BTN is good for a raise?
Old 08-01-2007, 10:17 AM

I think you need to think more on why you raise and bet. Suited connectors can be profitable, but those are very low SC's and no one has shown any strength. If someone had raised then it could be fun to call with SC's, especially if they were higher like 89s. I also question why you raise because I feel most people raise with SC's to disguise their hand, in NL5 there is no need for that because no one will put you on those cards anyway - actually I think hand reading is the hardest thing to do at NL5 since most people don't have a clue about the strength of their hand.

Also, I don't like to steal too many blinds at NL5 since often it just ends up building a large pot with the second best hand.

Also keep bluffing to a minimum. Because of the reasons I posted there are so many opportunities to get your money in when its good so you need to have a very good reason to bluff IMO.

I play the same site at the same stakes. Let me know if I can be of any help [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]