Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2007, 07:23 PM

Default AA help

poker stars cash game, NLH $1-$5 buy in blinds 1 cent 2 cent. hero is osoverride. plz analyze this hand and tell me what i did wrong.
PokerStars Game #11241718607: Hold'em No Limit ($0.01/$0.02) - 2007/07/31 - 18:58:30 (ET)
Table 'Altaj II' 9-max Seat #5 is the button
Seat 2: iceman1308 ($4.20 in chips)
Seat 3: Monte2004 ($6.59 in chips)
Seat 4: psyfreak ($5.03 in chips)
Seat 5: osoverride ($3.08 in chips)
Seat 7: Ca$hflow89 ($2.41 in chips)
Cruyff20 will be allowed to play after the button
Ca$hflow89: posts small blind $0.01
iceman1308: posts big blind $0.02
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to osoverride [As Ah]
Monte2004: calls $0.02
psyfreak: calls $0.02
osoverride: raises $0.20 to $0.22
Ca$hflow89: calls $0.21
iceman1308: folds
Monte2004: folds
psyfreak: calls $0.20
*** FLOP *** [9c Td 7s]
Ca$hflow89: bets $0.10
psyfreak: calls $0.10
osoverride: raises $0.90 to $1
Ca$hflow89: folds
psyfreak: calls $0.90
*** TURN *** [9c Td 7s] [6c]
psyfreak: bets $0.74
osoverride: calls $0.74
*** RIVER *** [9c Td 7s 6c] [7c]
psyfreak: bets $1.12
osoverride: calls $1.12 and is all-in
*** SHOW DOWN ***
psyfreak: shows [6s 6d] (a full house, Sixes full of Sevens)
osoverride: shows [As Ah] (two pair, Aces and Sevens)
psyfreak collected $6.22 from pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot $6.52 | Rake $0.30
Board [9c Td 7s 6c 7c]
Seat 2: iceman1308 (big blind) folded before Flop
Seat 3: Monte2004 folded before Flop
Seat 4: psyfreak showed [6s 6d] and won ($6.22) with a full house, Sixes full of Sevens
Seat 5: osoverride (button) showed [As Ah] and lost with two pair, Aces and Sevens
Seat 7: Ca$hflow89 (small blind) folded on the Flop

psyfreak is known to not play hands like j8 off but does play out of position a lot!
Old 07-31-2007, 08:28 PM

Default Re: AA help

first of all, you'll get much better attention if you use one of the hand converters, like the one at flop, turn, river. Look through the posting guidelines. It's bad form, for example, to post hands with people's names in them.

Next, you were in the fortunate position of playing against someone (several actually) that calls big bets with longshot draws. It's the nature of poker that those draws will occasionally come through. You may have played this hand perfectly well, and still lost the pot. C'est la Guerre. You just need to make enough money the the times their draws DON'T come in to make up for it.

Through the flop, it looks like you're doing all you can do.

When psyfreak donks into you on the turn, it only takes one card to beat you. You have to seriously evaluate where you are at this point. Could he have been calling this far with 89? 88? A8? what else? Figure out his range, and if you're ahead of it, reraise his donkey butt. If not, including the chance that he's just taking a stand since you've been pushing him around so much lately, you have to be able to let go of an overpair. (but if you're getting good pot odds compared to the chance you might prevail, you can call).

I cant' keep track of the pot in this format, so I'll leave the bet sizing as an exercise for later.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:37 PM

Your aces aren't always going to win, most of the time because someone will have hit a set much like this. There's not much you can do, except you have to play it carefully when the 4th straight card comes out. Unfortunately he bet so small that you had decent odds for both the turn and river in case he was donking around with top pair, which is possible at these stakes. Losing with AA happens, don't worry about it.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:41 PM

If you don't think he would call your raise preflop with 8x (he could have called the flop with any 8, not just j8), then you are beating jj, qq, kk, and losing to TT, 99, 88 and 77. you're also beating Tx, but you're discluding 8x, so let's disclude Tx too unless you think he'd call preflop with something like KTs. QQ and KK are made less likely by the fact that he didn't reraise preflop (this is read dependant, some nl2ers are very very passive). TT, 99 and especially 77 are made less likely by the fact that some of these cards are accounted for. 66 I would consider pretty unlikely given the flop call, but I don't play NL2 so again: read dependant. It is more likely than 55-22, because it at least had a gutshot draw on the flop.

You didn't play the hand too badly. Keep in mind you are going to get stacked playing correctly, it's just the way the game goes.
Old 08-01-2007, 02:08 PM

I don't see anything you did that was really bad. While no flush draw the board is rather coordinated for straights and potential 2 pairs hitting on the turn. I wouldn't be happy with any card between a king and 6 coming off on the turn, So I might be more inclined to push now.

Overall I think your play screamed big over pair and you were in no way giving the correct odds for the other guy to call. Bad call by him preflop and on the flop. (if I read the hand post correctly. As previously stated it's a little tough)

On the river I think you should realize you're beat. Unless you think he would play Kk-JJ like this. After your turn call he should realize your most likely going to call on the river so a bluff most likely isn't going to fly. He needs a real hand that can beat an overpair. Tough laydown on the river but you're not getting great odds at that point - looks like about 5:1, not bad but not great. Are you ahead of him that many times that you can consistently make this river call and win money. To break that down you need to win this hand just 16% of the time to break even on that river call. Doesn't sound like much but personally, in this case, I don't think you're ahead any place close to that often.

ps. having said all that there's a good chance I would have played it just as you did also. But I'd feel confident in the fact he made some bad choices and that I'm going to get my money back, with interest, from him. Assuming he doesn't give it away to somebody else first.
Old 08-03-2007, 07:23 PM

I think if I was dealt pocket aces every single hand (and no one noticed) I'd find a way to lose money in the long run. Even though it is just a pair, it's impossle to get away from the hand. I'd be curious to hear some thoughts on this hand involving pcket aces

http://www.pokertowatch.com/search.p...;Submit=search

I think maybe Ralph Perry played this hand way too conservatively.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:54 PM

well first, if you were dealt AA every hand, just keep going all in preflop = 80% equity or so

Second, (and im sure this wasnt his reasoning but oh well) if your opponent could put you on a high pair from you raise, he can profitably call (although his stack is short so not that profitably) i used to do this at the low stakes and to be honest its going to work, but your making bad habits for yourself.
Old 08-04-2007, 01:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think if I was dealt pocket aces every single hand (and no one noticed) I'd find a way to lose money in the long run. Even though it is just a pair, it's impossle to get away from the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol I think like 40% of my profits come from AA alone. it's not impossible to get away from, it's tough sometimes, but if you get c/red big on the turn its a pretty easy fold.
Old 08-04-2007, 11:51 AM

In PS .01/.02 I agree that a raise of .10 or more just screams JJ+ or AK. And pretty much only QQ+ is going to reraise. Preflop I pretty much play exactly like villain every time I have a pocket pair because I know that if I hit a set I'm going to stack my opponent. On the other hand if you get reraised preflop and the board comes low, you can be pretty sure you're safe on the flop.

Villain's flop play is just weird. Either he misclicked and meant to bet 0.10 or "he put you on AK."

Pushing AA preflop can be profitable and I will sometimes do it if I'm in LP and there has been a raise and a few callers, hoping to look like I'm just trying to steal. You will get called by QQ, KK, and AK and even the odd small pair.

I find that these are pretty much accurate generalizations about this level of play in particular and play changes quite a bit even a few steps up.