Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Limit-->NL
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2007, 04:04 PM

Default Everything we\'ve always wanted to ask about NL thread...

but have refrained because the questions have likely been answered 100 times before in the NL forums, or might be totally retarded, or we were afraid of the flame-stick.

I'll start:
QUESTIONS:
What is the difference between a BB and a PTBB?

At limit, if I make 2 BB/100 hand at stakes between 10/20-30/60, what approximate stakes and wr in NL would show a comparable skill level, and give me a comparable hourly earn?

Is the variance in NL really smaller in NL for same hourly earn? Can someone give some quantitative estimates?

ANSWERS:
I don't know anything.
Old 07-31-2007, 04:09 PM

Default Re: Everything we\'ve always wanted to ask about NL thread...

Search is your friend
Old 07-31-2007, 04:11 PM

PTBB is 2x the big blind

from what I understand the variance can be much less because your edge can be considerably larger relative to lhe
Old 07-31-2007, 04:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Search is your friend

[/ QUOTE ]

Eh, I'm not opposed to having a designated n00b question thread. We've run one in SSSH, and it worked pretty well. Searching is always good, but if we have a thread full of basic questions, that'll be a nice resource for everyone.
Old 07-31-2007, 04:16 PM

These numbers are entirely pulled out of my [censored], so just take them as examples. Of course, everything depends.

Limit a 1BB/100 winrate is a good goal to shoot for. Your SD will be about 15BB/100.

In NL your SD will be about 40ptBB/100, but that's actually less variance, because 8ptBB/100 is a good winrate to shoot for in NL, making the variance less compared to your winrate.
Old 07-31-2007, 04:17 PM

What are the comparable limits between the two? Like is 100NL roughly like 3/6 limit?

Also when people are talking about winning 5bb/100 at NL is that in PTBB/100 or just bb/100? Basically is the PTBB the standard or is it only to be assumed to be PTBB/100 when they actually put "PTBB/100"?

Also whats considered a good winrate for NL? Like the 2BB/100 limit equivilent?

thanks
Old 07-31-2007, 04:19 PM

2-4 PTBB is a good, sustainable win rate at NL. So if you're making 2 BB/100 playing 20/40 limit, you'd have to make 4 PTBB playing 5/10 NL to have the same hourly rate.

But the BR requiorments would be much differant. To play 20/40 limit, you'd want a BR of $10k-$15k. Playing 5/10 NL, you'd want a BR or $20k-$30k.
Old 07-31-2007, 04:21 PM

Kurt is right in that the variance tends to be lower relative to the earn. When I was looking at things, Alobar, based on a common recommendation of a 20 buyin roll for SSNL, with 2k, you could play either 3/6 LHE or 100NL, but a good NL player could earn comparably to what I made at 5/10. So, asking whether 100 NL compares to 3/6 or 5/10 depends on whether you're looking at the necessary roll or the potential earn. Now, if instead you're asking about the relative degree of difficulty and how donkish the donks are, well, I couldn't tell you that.
Old 07-31-2007, 04:56 PM

Potential earn also depends on levels, 6-max vs. FR, and # of tables.

While 6-max studs will push 12ptBB/100, FR studs might get up to 5, albeit with even less variance.

--> As an aside, whenever you see BB/100 you can assume it means ptBB/100. The ptBB notation was a development meant to clear up the confusion since there is no big bet in NL, but in practice it just created more.

One thing to note, that I believe Death Donkey has already mentioned in another thread, is that it is much easier to massively multi-table NL games. The NL snobs will tell you otherwise, because "you can lose your stack on any hand" or "you have to make a decision for all your chips" or some such business, but the fact is that no matter how difficult the decisions are there are just so many fewer. In NL you will have to make like 2 or 3 real decisions a hand, and even though they are for small increments, you will have to make 2 or 3 decisions per street in limit. I'm not claiming NL is easier, just easier to multi-table.
Old 07-31-2007, 04:58 PM

12PTBB/100

wth?