Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2007, 03:56 PM

Default Pot control in full ring question

Hey guys i have a couple of questions regarding pot control in full ring. Any comments would be great.

1. I know that most of you players who have say AA or AK versus one opponent and have position, will most of the time check the turn for pot control. Say you had one limper and you raised the pot and only the limper calls you. If the flop came J 8 4 rainbow, you bet close to pot and get a call. If the turn is a 3, is it wrong to check here for pot control? I know that say if the turn was a jack, most players who check for pot control. What if the turn was a 9 or 10?

2. A lot of people say that if the board is J 8 4 with 2 clubs, and they called on the flop and if say a 2 of diamonds comes on the turn, we should check for pot control and essentially give a free card most likely because of the risk of getting checkraised OR to let our opponent bet on the river and we call assuming the river isn't a real scare card. Or we check on the turn to induce a bet from a busted flush draw. How does everyone feel about this? I am asking because if i know my opponent is on a flush draw, why should i check. Shouldnt i bet another 3/4 of the pot to make him pay to hit?

3. Also, can you pot control OOP? I heard players who raise with AA and get one caller. They bet pot size on the flop and get a call. Then on the turn they so call "block" bet half the size of the pot and do so the same on the river because they are nitty. I know this is playing scared but is this pot control? Can you pot control out of position? I am confused because people say your flop bet should be a good amount of the pot size whereas on the turn you can bet lesser because theres only one more card left. So if you bet 3/4 pot on the flop and bet 1/2 pot on the turn, wouldn't that still be good? I just hear people say bet pot on flop and bet more on the turn... usually 3/4 of pot at least so it sort of contradicts it?

Thanks.
Old 07-31-2007, 03:59 PM

Default Re: Pot control in full ring question

Screw pot control just keep betting
Old 07-31-2007, 04:14 PM

In order to think of pot control you need to think what size pot you need against your opponent. Sometimes top pairs and overpairs are good to get AI with and sometimes they aren't.

1. Well, it depends on my opponent but I wouldn't necessarily bet the pot here. Checking the turn isn't wrong here though if you are playing a reasonable opponent. If they will call a turn bet with weak draws though you should continue betting.

2. If you know your opponent is likely to continue to call on a FD or less then betting the turn is fine. It also depends how safe you feel folding to his c/r. If he is going to c/r you with worse hands on this turn then the b/f on the turn isn't so good and a check works out better.

3. All of these are hard to answer since they are so general but it still depends on your opponent. There is nothing wrong with even c/c'ing the flop and turn against the right opponents. You have to think of your opponent and figure out the best way to play against them with hands like this.
Old 07-31-2007, 07:09 PM

90% of the players in this forum are [censored] horrible, so 90% of the time you ask for advice it will be wrong.

Pot control with an overpair is stupid, and there's a lot of times you want to bloat the pot. Players who check behind AA on j633 boards are not only nits, but they are bad.

Pot controlling with an overpair is when you raise, get a couple callers and the flop pairs the board high like JJX. Or with a monotone board, without holding one of that suit...etc.
Old 07-31-2007, 07:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
90% of the players in this forum are [censored] horrible, so 90% of the time you ask for advice it will be wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]zomg this one time I saw that 90% of all poker players are losers. 90% in this forum are not horrible just because that many lose. If people put effort into finding here and posting here for a while chances are they will be/get good and give good advice.
Old 07-31-2007, 07:35 PM

only exercise pot control if you feel it wins you more money from worse hands on later streets
Old 07-31-2007, 07:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

pot kettle much?

Fold any AA to donkbets on awesome boards lately?