Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2007, 10:42 PM

Default Bad all-in call at $3+R?

800 left. I'm about 5,000 chips below the average chip stack.

I just got to this table about 5 hands ago. I got re-raised off a steal attempt from the button (JTo) and re-raised off of A7s from the cutoff. Otherwise, I've played nothing.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t800 (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

UTG (t21650)
UTG+1 (t5835)
MP1 (t19146)
MP2 (t16865)
Hero (t14026)
CO (t56321)
Button (t33697)
SB (t29600)
BB (t18338)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t2400</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls t2400, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to t18263</font>, Hero calls t11551 (All-In), Button folds.

--------------

If I folded and decided to play for another hand, I'd have about 11K chips left and a M of a bit above 6. Was it time to get it all-in here or could I have folded and waited for a better spot?
Old 07-30-2007, 10:45 PM

Default Re: Bad all-in call at $3+R?

This looks like a standard call to me, barring some sort of unusual read.

Well-played!
Old 07-30-2007, 11:14 PM

I would have called too, I think you are probably flipping at this point, folding isn't really an option because with an M around 6 you don't have very much FE.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:43 PM

630 antes + 400 sb + 800 bb + 2400 Hero bet + 2400 button call + 1600 bb call + 11551 bb raise = t19781

So...

Pot: t19781
To call: t11551

So you're getting about 1.7 to 1 to call.

Hero: 99 | Equity: 37.260%
Villain: TT+, AQs+,AQo+ | Equity: 62.740%

So even against (what I consider) to be the tightest of tight ranges -- essentially the top 5% of hands -- I think calling here is still (very marginally) +EV given the size of the pot. If the villain is capable of doing this with worse than top 5% of hands -- and this could easily be a squeeze play, IMO, so I think he's got a much wider range than TT+, AQ+ -- then I think it's a clear call.

This is complicated by the fact that the button might be slowplaying a monster trying (perhaps he was trying to induce a squeeze from one of the blinds) -- or he may come along for the ride anyway even if he's got merely a decent hand, because both of his opponents are all in, he can't go broke, and he's getting very good odds. My calculations assume he folds because it's much simpler. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Even if the button comes along with a good hand (let's say he only calls with top 5%), you'll be getting 3 to 1 and in not terrible shape (probably 25% equity against two opponents with ranges of TT+,AQo+). So unless they one of them has A9 and the other has big pair, you won't be in *that* bad of shape vis a vis the size of the pot. I mean, if you KNEW they both had TT+,AQo then it's correct to make a fold, but those ranges seem far too tight.

So even taking the button into account, I think it's still a call. All of the other meta-considerations (your stack/ average stack/position in tournament, desired image, distance from money/wanting to have a decent sized stack at bubble, etc.) all point towards calling as well.
Old 07-31-2007, 04:43 AM

Thanks for the responses.

Assuming that I'm not gonna get any further advice, villain did end up having AA. To make matters, villain then proceeded to flop an aces full boat.

Lately, I've just getting my money in really bad. I wondered if it was just a downswing in my tournament play or if there was really something wrong with my game. In the last four tournaments I've played, I've busted out on QQ vs. KK AIPF, 99 vs. AA AIPF, TT vs KK all-in on rag flop and 99 vs. ATs AIPF.

I wondered if I was doing something, but I'm reassured by the responses of others that I actually did make a correct decision.
Old 07-31-2007, 04:48 AM

naa i usually make this call most of the time, ive had plenty of similar situations and especially in this spot you will see many pretty weak hands from what looks like a resteal from the button. Most of the time your a coin flip or dominating. You just happen to be in the situatin where he had a hand.
Old 07-31-2007, 05:40 AM

Looks like a good call. BB is also just above 20BB which means that his shoving range here is pretty wide. I would put him on 22+, AT+ .. in a $3R I wouldn't be surprised to even see any 2 broadway cards or any Ax.

Don't worry about the beats ... villain just showed up with a hand that had you crushed. There is still enough room to make chips. Yesterday in the $3R a guy called my K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] shove on a 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] board with A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] for a top 15 stack pot right on the bubble. Obv the non heart Ace comes on the turn und no heart, K or Q on the river. gg me.
Just keep playing your game .. those guys practically WANT to give you their chips.
Old 07-31-2007, 11:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the responses.

Assuming that I'm not gonna get any further advice, villain did end up having AA. To make matters, villain then proceeded to flop an aces full boat.

Lately, I've just getting my money in really bad. I wondered if it was just a downswing in my tournament play or if there was really something wrong with my game. In the last four tournaments I've played, I've busted out on QQ vs. KK AIPF, 99 vs. AA AIPF, TT vs KK all-in on rag flop and 99 vs. ATs AIPF.

I wondered if I was doing something, but I'm reassured by the responses of others that I actually did make a correct decision.

[/ QUOTE ]

As I'm sure you already know, standard variance includes not only bad beats and losing races, but getting cooler-ed as well.

The hand you posted here looks like you made the correct call, and it's hard to get away from QQ PF, and it's hard to get away from TT on a raggedy flop, etc. It would be one thing if we were talking uber-deep stack play or something, and you couldn't get away from TT on a rag flop when you have 200 BB in your stack, but assuming we're talking your standard low buy-in donkaments, you shouldn't hate getting your money in during situations like that.