Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2007, 09:06 PM

Default Imagine Being A Paid Upper Manager For Peta Right Now

Someone who isn't really a true animal lover and was hired mainly for his business acumen. Someone whose contract links his compensation to donations. What an undeserved score! The only comparable situation I can think of is someone writing books about a game he can explain well but considers somewhat silly, and then experiencing the dumb luck of seeing that game all over TV and the internet.
Old 07-30-2007, 09:12 PM

Default Re: Imagine Being A Paid Upper Manager For Peta Right Now

Isnt this life? I would be surprised if everyone that worked for PETA loved animals.

I dont see what makes it undeserved.
Old 07-30-2007, 09:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Isnt this life? I would be surprised if everyone that worked for PETA loved animals.

I dont see what makes it undeserved.

[/ QUOTE ]

Undeserved because the guy made a fairly stupid decision to take a position that likely is small-time and barely lucrative, and instead he is going to ride a wave of good fortune that no one could possibly have predicted.

He rivered the business manager for the ELCA on a two-outer.
Old 07-30-2007, 09:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Undeserved because the guy made a fairly stupid decision to take a position that likely is small-time and barely lucrative, and instead he is going to ride a wave of good fortune that no one could possibly have predicted.

[/ QUOTE ]

What if it wasn't dumb luck? What if God wanted to bestowe some good fortune on that individual or stop some animal cruelity that was happening. Perhaps it was simply God violating a physical law of the universe in some un-noticible way that caused a famous sports persona to get caught running dog fights.

Stu
Old 07-30-2007, 10:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What if it wasn't dumb luck? What if God wanted to bestowe some good fortune on that individual or stop some animal cruelity that was happening. Perhaps it was simply God violating a physical law of the universe in some un-noticible way that caused a famous sports persona to get caught running dog fights.

Stu

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, what if it was that. lol
Old 07-30-2007, 10:37 PM

If the guy has business acumen, he likely got himself a good contract. And he likely has a history of raising contribution levels where's he's worked before. If he now happens to be in the right place at the right time, I don't see why it's necessarily undeserved.

I suppose we all feel, at times, that whatever degree of success we've had is undeserved. It probably is a bit, but probably also not as much as we think in our darkest moments. Most good luck is, at least somewhat, the residue of design, don't you think?
Old 07-30-2007, 10:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If the guy has business acumen, he likely got himself a good contract. And he likely has a history of raising contribution levels where's he's worked before. If he now happens to be in the right place at the right time, I don't see why it's necessarily undeserved.

I suppose we all feel, at times, that whatever degree of success we've had is undeserved. It probably is a bit, but probably also not as much as we think in our darkest moments. Most good luck is, at least somewhat, the residue of design, don't you think?

[/ QUOTE ]

What about the fact that he is business manager for PETA leads you to believe he has anything like above average business acumen? Is PETA ridiculously successful as an organization? It might be, I admit I have no idea, it just seems to out there and perenially the butt of jokes.
Old 07-30-2007, 10:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is PETA ridiculously successful as an organization?

[/ QUOTE ]

the klan had a similar run
Old 07-30-2007, 11:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're comparing an organization whose aim is to cause harm to one whose aim is to reduce suffering?

I admit that I don't know much about PETA or the klan but I'm confident that they're not even remotely similar.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're comparing an organization whose aim is to cause harm to one whose aim is to reduce suffering?

I admit that I don't know much about PETA or the klan but I'm confident that they're not even remotely similar.

[/ QUOTE ]

you are perhaps unaware of peta people threatening and vandalizing property of a california store owner who sold foie gras, and at some point sending him video of his children playing in the back yard? (bourdain's book) it seems like they are always up to some wacky stunt or another, and often one that interferes with "pursuit of happiness".

i think the groups are similar in that they have strange goals that they seem to value over human life.