Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2007, 06:01 PM

Default Job Recruiter Sites??

Has anyone had any positive experiences with sites that will distribute your resume to potential recruiters for a fee?

The one I'm looking at right now is TheRecruiterNetwork.com. I really need to find a new position. I also know that I'm not going to surf every potential employer's website searching for positions - there are alot of companies that I'd never think to search. I do use Monster occassionally, but I haven't had much success getting interviews to appropriate jobs (note: I am currently employed. It's just time for a move).

So any feedback or tips from current or recent job hunters on the easiest way to get things rolling? Thanks. Feel free to move to appropriate forum.
Old 07-30-2007, 06:03 PM

Default Re: Job Recruiter Sites??

Don't ever use those companies, IMO. They've already got your money, that gives them no incentive to be an agent on your behalf.

"Regular" recruiters don't get paid until you get placed, it's in their best interests to market you as effectively as possible.

I've heard some horror stories regarding one of those companies by the way. If I remember the name of if it's posted here I'll try tracking down a link or two. It's one of the largest companies that do that sort of thing.
Old 07-30-2007, 06:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"Regular" recruiters don't get paid until you get placed, it's in their best interests to market you as effectively as possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree 100% here. Headhunters is the way to go. You don't pay them anything out of pocket, they get paid only when they place you. Now of course that's salary lost that you could have made had you found the job yourself. But headhunters typically know about more opportunities, and due to their relationships with companies will have a much easier time getting your foot in the door.

- C -
Old 07-30-2007, 06:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Now of course that's salary lost that you could have made had you found the job yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]
I've never heard of that. A recruiter's fee comes out of a company's budget, not out of someone's first year salary. They will not make more finding it on their own.
Old 07-30-2007, 06:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Now of course that's salary lost that you could have made had you found the job yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]
I've never heard of that. A recruiter's fee comes out of a company's budget, not out of someone's first year salary. They will not make more finding it on their own.

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends, but a lot of companies, you have more leverage negotiating a higher salary when you get the job yourself, vs. a HH opening the door for you. If a company has to pay $10k for a HH to have found you, that's $10k you can't get.

YMMV

- C -
Old 07-30-2007, 06:41 PM

psu,

Again, I've never heard of that so maybe it's industry specific. I would actually think it's the other way around - people are uncomfortable talking about their salary in an interview and generally suck at negotiating it (it's not something they do often, they don't want to look too greedy, etc.). With a recruiter going to bat for you IMO they'll get you a higher figure with no hassle - generally the highest figure he can based off of his knowledge of the company and previous experience working with them.
Old 07-30-2007, 07:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends, but a lot of companies, you have more leverage negotiating a higher salary when you get the job yourself, vs. a HH opening the door for you. If a company has to pay $10k for a HH to have found you, that's $10k you can't get.

YMMV

- C -

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not my experience. Using a headhunter typically means that good candidates are scarce and therefore have significant negotiating leverage.