Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2007, 04:46 PM

Default How do you like this steal from the bb?

$5.50 5 K guaranteed. Button limper is passive and somewhat tight like 20% VPIP over a long period but also limps trash occasionally for seemingly no reason, limped K5s utg earlier and openlimped Q9 on the btn earlier as well. So I figure his range is pretty wide, this is 10 spots from the bubble bursting too so I was trying to take advantage, SB is pretty tight and probably limping garbage, was not worried about him at all. You like this? and what do i do once he calls?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t800 (9 handed) internettexasholdem.com

Hero (t20942)
UTG (t11353)
UTG+1 (t10420)
MP1 (t16721)
MP2 (t17079)
MP3 (t12184)
CO (t10525)
Button (t8391)
SB (t8105)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, Button calls t800, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t3800</font>, Button calls t3000, SB folds.

Flop: (t8600) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero ?

Edit: My image should have been fairly tight before this play.
Old 07-30-2007, 05:17 PM

Default Re: How do you like this steal from the bb?

Stack sizes / your hand / your opponent's image sucks to try this. If he is limp/calling for no reason, your best play is to simply check and try to win the pot small v. him. Or push and make him [censored] his pants, though I don't love that either. As played, I push this [censored], because you are representing a K and this only works if you follow through with it.

There is no need to over complicate things, Mark. You seem to have the right idea in all of these posts, but overplaying trash and allowing weak players into nice stack-size situations is not the way to go.

Barry
Old 07-30-2007, 05:28 PM

Im confused, I didnt mean he had been limp/calling raises in those hands, just he had limped them and I figured being close to the bubble I had extra FE against most likely a weaker hand.
Old 07-30-2007, 05:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Stack sizes / your hand / your opponent's image sucks to try this. If he is limp/calling for no reason, your best play is to simply check and try to win the pot small v. him. Or push and make him [censored] his pants, though I don't love that either. As played, I push this [censored], because you are representing a K and this only works if you follow through with it.

There is no need to over complicate things, Mark. You seem to have the right idea in all of these posts, but overplaying trash and allowing weak players into nice stack-size situations is not the way to go.

Barry

[/ QUOTE ]

You are really pushing 18K into a 8600 pot? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 07-30-2007, 05:52 PM

BTN only has 4k left...
Old 07-30-2007, 06:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Im confused, I didnt mean he had been limp/calling raises in those hands, just he had limped them and I figured being close to the bubble I had extra FE against most likely a weaker hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess, but raising 97o in this spot is like raising any two and if you say button is playing "weird," then the last thing you want his for his weird play to put you in a very [censored] spot if you raise to 3000. I mean, you are risking so much for so little given your stack and the situation; why not just check and then, based on the flop, re-evaluate. I can't tell you how many times check/lead works here on so many boards.

Barry
Old 07-30-2007, 08:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess, but raising 97o in this spot is like raising any two and if you say button is playing "weird," then the last thing you want his for his weird play to put you in a very [censored] spot if you raise to 3000. I mean, you are risking so much for so little given your stack and the situation; why not just check and then, based on the flop, re-evaluate. I can't tell you how many times check/lead works here on so many boards.

Barry

[/ QUOTE ]

I concur. Sometimes I get fancy thinking I can build up more of my stack by raising any two mediocre cards after a limper and tossing out a c/b, but I end up just dropping 1/4 of my stack most of the time doing this. I've had to put a post-it on my monitor while playing to advise me against making these plays.