Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2007, 10:19 AM

Default you only get called by a better hand...

Lately, I've been having doubts about just calling when my raise will "only get called by a better hand". I always thought I had a good feel for when to bet/raise for value on the river but i guess i just need some reassurance. Listed below are three recent situations and I'd appreciate some feedback on how you would play the river and why (please disregard all other streets for now). Oh and these are 2/5 live games with 1k avg stacks.

Hand 1:
MP raises to $50, I call with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] in LP, both blinds and EP limper call. Flop comes Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. They all check to me and I check. Turn is a T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Loose fish (BB) bets $100, I decide to slowplay and just call, SB also calls. River comes T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], completing the flush draw and putting a possible boat out there. SB checks, BB fires another $100. Do you call or raise?

Hand 2:
3 limpers ahead of me and I look down at 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] on the button and call. Both blinds check and 6 players to the flop. Flop comes T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Everyone checks to CO who bets $30, I call and everyone else folds (CO seems to be very TAG but he did surprisingly show two bluffs recently). Turn brings 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and he fires $70 and I call. River brings 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and he bets $100. Do you call or raise?

Hand 3:
MP raises to $25 and I call in LP with AQ (suits are irrelevant this hand). Three players to the flop and it comes A97. He bets $50 and I call (I just sat down and have no read on the villain). Turn is 8 and he bets $100 and I call. River is 3 and he bets $200. Do you call or raise?
Old 07-30-2007, 10:24 AM

Default Re: you only get called by a better hand...

H1: Your slowplay is so so bad. The pot is not large relative to stacks, you have a very deceptive hand, and half the deck scares you on the river. Not that sure about the river but I guess you could minraise?

H2: Why are you calling the turn?

H3: Do not raise. Reraise preflop.
Old 07-30-2007, 10:38 AM

Like i said, please disregard all other streets and focus on river decision.

By the way i slowplayed hand #1 because i put villain on absolutely nothing and raising would only get him out, and SB was holding her cards like she was going to fold. Yes, it's dangerous and yes it's probably best to raise there when you're looking strictly at numbers and cards but I decided to take a chance and gamble (he ended up having King high which meant he had 3 outs to chop and wasn't going to call my turn raise either)
Old 07-30-2007, 11:11 AM

since this is live, i have no idea. if this was online id raise most of those pussy bets and let them figure it out.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:31 AM

In general your play is quite awful

To answer your questions;
H1. I call. No point raising a straight with a 3 flush paired board
H2. I raise. He's not putting you on the 9 and if he has a boat its a cooler
H3. Again I call. I hate the way you played it so calling feels a bit crappy, but as played I'm going to call
Old 07-30-2007, 12:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In general your play is quite awful

To answer your questions;
H1. I call. No point raising a straight with a 3 flush paired board
H2. I raise. He's not putting you on the 9 and if he has a boat its a cooler
H3. Again I call. I hate the way you played it so calling feels a bit crappy, but as played I'm going to call

[/ QUOTE ]

i think hand 3 is fine
Old 07-30-2007, 12:33 PM

As others have mentioned, the slowplay on hand 1 is really bad.

On hand 2, if the guy has shown a couple bluffs lately that means they've been called down, which means he's probably not bluffing again (esp in live.) Fold the turn.

I also think hand 3 is fine.
Old 07-30-2007, 03:20 PM

Yes, looking back i do realize my play in hand 1 is pretty ATROCIOUS... but like i said, at the time I put him on a pure bluff so I didn't want to get him off the hand and hoped he would maybe hit a pair on the river. Now can we focus more on the river decisions please?
Old 07-30-2007, 03:25 PM

i think i'd just flat call the river in hand 1 as played and try and incude an overcall from sb.
Old 07-30-2007, 03:30 PM

Just call river in hands 1 and 3, and it's not close at all. Hand 2 is close and good arguments can be made for both options depending on this player's tendencies.