Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2007, 07:13 PM

Default Daily, weekly, monthly publications worth subscribing to?

So we have a great list of books around the forums. I ordered about 8 of them through amazon. I was wondering though, if you guys subscribe to any publications that print weekly or monthly or daily? Something like Forbes magazine or the wall street journal or business weekly? Or are the sources online pretty good like the forbes website, various news sources online.

Anything that helps in investing, mostly stocks. One thing I'm interested in is the news of IPO's. I am looking to see if one company will offer but not sure when and don't want to miss it.
Old 07-29-2007, 08:40 PM

Default Re: Daily, weekly, monthly publications worth subscribing to?

1. TheStreet.com .....web
2. Investors Business Daily.....daily paper
3. 2+2 investment forum....web
4. Pristine Trader........newsletter
Old 07-29-2007, 08:41 PM

The only things that I make sure I always read are the Wall Street Journal and Value Line every week. The more you read the better I guess, but you're not reading to figure out what is the next trend in the market or whether we are at a top or a bottom because all that is completely bogus. You should be reading in order to learn about industries and companies, and in order to see which industries are in distress and are getting a ton of bad headlines. That way you know where to focus.
Old 07-29-2007, 08:49 PM

I believe subscribing to anything other than data (should you need it) is -EV. The cost of these services would be better invested.

Subscribing to newsletters has been proven not to work for decades, and news has been discounted loooong before it appears in print.

Certain publications may be useful for some strategies (such as IBD which publishes at lot of data).

The news and info published and broadcast is generally not a value and actually is probably detrimental to your account. I distance myself from all the fuzz on Wall Street and CNBC as much as possible.

Any specific information you need can generally be found for free on the internets.
Old 07-29-2007, 10:19 PM

I think Fortune has really good articles. Forbes has a little too much conservative bias for my taste.
Old 07-29-2007, 10:21 PM

Yeah, I'm definitely NOT reading to see what the market or the big firms are thinking about certain stocks. I want a place to get information on different companies that might interest me as I have no source but on two plus two to start looking at companies. I find a stock you guys are talking about and look into it, but I have no other source so just wanted to know any of tehse would be good for that. I think the free news service is pretty good on the internet already.
Old 07-29-2007, 10:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I believe subscribing to anything other than data (should you need it) is -EV. The cost of these services would be better invested.

Subscribing to newsletters has been proven not to work for decades, and news has been discounted loooong before it appears in print.

Certain publications may be useful for some strategies (such as IBD which publishes at lot of data).

The news and info published and broadcast is generally not a value and actually is probably detrimental to your account. I distance myself from all the fuzz on Wall Street and CNBC as much as possible.

Any specific information you need can generally be found for free on the internets.

[/ QUOTE ]

Kimchi,

Judging from this and other posts you have no clue and will soon lose a lot of money. So stop giving advice to beginners.
Old 07-29-2007, 10:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Kimchi,

Judging from this and other posts you have no clue and will soon lose a lot of money. So stop giving advice to beginners.

[/ QUOTE ]

What's your beef? Most of the financial media is for entertainment and provides no really useful information upon which to trade. Making your choices solely after reading WSJ or watching CNBC is a sure way to bust out. I mentioned IBD because it provides some useful data from which you can start your analysis. (although this data is freely available).

I'll repeat it again. Most of the information you find on paid for subscriptions can be found for free. If you don't know how/where to find this information to decide how/where to invest, then you should save your subcription fee and put it in index funds.

What part of this advice don't you understand?
Old 07-29-2007, 11:02 PM

My beef is you make posts like "I buy if the markets rise, and sell if they fall" then respond to beginners like you have a clue. You do not have a clue and I want to make sure beginners do not think that you have one.
Old 07-29-2007, 11:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

wtf is going on here?? how is this list of investment readings not obvious:

1) ECONOMIST. jesus. that magazine costs $98 for a freaking year. thats 52 issues for $98!!!!! i'd pay $250 for 50 issues! so easily worth $5/issue or more. (uhhh, but don't tell them that, please...thanks)

2) FT.com or the salmon pink paper itself. read anything by Martin Wolf and read the "comments & analysis" section every day as well as "investors notebook" as they have some interesting issues.

3) WSJ provides the daily results and commentary on the market. i read whatever interests me from there.

i read 100% of every economist i get. at 5 minutes a page (dense pages and i read slow) it takes me about 5-6 hours of reading to get through the whole thing. sometimes it takes 7-8 depending on the special issue content.

the FT i read selectively but try to read at least 30mins-1hr /day.

WSJ i don't invest as much time in but at least scan the headlines and see what some folks are thinking.

you can do well with just those three i think.

total cost is about $300/year or something like that. maybe less.

Barron