Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2006, 04:24 PM

Default Using an HUD

I've seen more posters lately questioning whether or not HUDs should be allowed. My question is what would this do to your game? I only 3-4 table and get decent reads without looking at the stats (don't get me wrong, I definitely use them). So I wouldn't have to make any big changes. What about the 10-tablers? I could see it making a huge difference.
Old 02-25-2006, 04:43 PM

Default Re: Using an HUD

For me it's an automated note taking system. I could accomplish the same thing by taking notes manually either in the note box or on a piece of paper. I tend to review hands using PokerTracker and could take notes there as well. So for what I use it for it automates a system that I already use. Saying it is cheating because of an unfair advantage is like saying that notebooks should not be allowed because the fish are only using their memories, or books should be outlawed because fish don't learn.

Serious poker players will have an advantage over non-serious players (due to actually studying the game). This is not cheating it is the way games work. This does not change the numeric odds of specific cards coming. Cheating would be manipulating the odds against your opponent (ie multiple entries into one event which changes the percentages of your chance at success, working with a partner to "team up" against an opponent etc).
Old 02-25-2006, 04:59 PM

It's just note taking on steroids.
Old 02-26-2006, 12:50 AM

heck, when i play 8 tables i barely have time to look at notes. its just a,b,c all day...
Old 02-26-2006, 12:59 AM

I've wondered how the 8-tablers do it, even with HUD. I only two-table right now. I'm taking it slow and will eventually three-table. But I don't think I want to go beyond that. I've used a HUD before, but I find that I get a better read without it. I don't want to put too much confidence on those numbers when some players might play tight one day and loose another.

I'm not saying someone shouldn't use it, of course. just that it's not my cup of tea. But, again, eight-tabling must be pure ABC, especially against a player you have no stats on.
Old 02-26-2006, 05:55 AM

Aren't steroids illegal? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 02-26-2006, 12:42 PM

by abc do you mean basically playing perfect poker without relying on reads?