Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2007, 01:45 AM

Default Ages of consent

Like many people, I don't see the point in age-based requirements to do certain things. For example, a guy aged 20 years, 364 days can't win a big jackpot in Vegas, but if he just waits a few more hours, he's perfectly fine. Having sex with a girl aged 17 years, 11 months could conceivably get me some jail time or at the very least a fine (here in CA anyway), but if I wait a few weeks, I'm in the clear.

The fact that in this country different states have differing ages of consent is a testament to how subjective it is.

On the other hand, there are pretty clear instances of when things shouldn't be allowed. For example, I can't see any scenario where it should be ok for a 10 year old to walk into a store and buy some hard liquor, or to have sex with a 12 year old.

My question is, in a totally ideal world with perfect information (in other words, you know what everyone is capable of doing/thinking), how would you determine when someone should be allowed to do certain things? Making an age-based requirement is almost completely arbitrary, but I can't really think of any better alternatives. But surely there have to be some, right?
Old 07-28-2007, 01:47 AM

Default Re: Ages of consent

The only alternative that I would have to any consent etc laws we have now is to more regularly update them w/ a vote, rather than let them get outdated.
Old 07-28-2007, 01:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
how would you determine when someone should be allowed to do certain things?

[/ QUOTE ]

i think the first thing you need to establish is why is it your role or society's role or the government's role to determine when someone should be allowed to do certain things? and for what activities are such rules justified.

otherwise you are assuming your conclusion to some extent.
Old 07-28-2007, 01:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
how would you determine when someone should be allowed to do certain things?

[/ QUOTE ]

i think the first thing you need to establish is why is it your role or society's role or the government's role to determine when someone should be allowed to do certain things?

otherwise you are assuming your conclusion to some extent.

[/ QUOTE ]

meh, he really isnt assuming much, everyone agrees that there are sickos out there, and if there were no laws in place, there would be no penalty for doing something terrible for a lot fo these people.
Old 07-28-2007, 01:53 AM

Well I'm all for personal freedoms, but if it were up to everyone individually, I could theoretically see 8-year olds behind the wheel next to me on the freeway, or hear that my friend just had sex with a 10-year old, and I'd be wishing for age requirements.
Old 07-28-2007, 01:53 AM

The fact that different states have different ages of consent makes it a silly law imo.

For example: You live in CA and go to college there and you're 18 or older. It's the Fall semester. Your girlfriend is 17 yrs and 10 months as she is born in November and it's currently September. Your girlfriend is from Pennsylvania where age of consent is 16. However both of you are now in in California where the age of consent is 18. So which applies!?
Old 07-28-2007, 01:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Well I'm all for personal freedoms, but if it were up to everyone individually, I could theoretically see 8-year olds behind the wheel next to me on the freeway, or hear that my friend just had sex with a 10-year old, and I'd be wishing for age requirements.

[/ QUOTE ]

certainly, but those could all be considered cases of neglect by the parents. and for driving in particular you have to going through a licensing process and show evidence of your ability to drive. i think such things are reasonable.

not being able to vote at 17 is not reasonable. similarly, not being able to have sex with a a rational 16-17 year old is unreasonable. whether or not you think it is moral. personally i am 23 and probably would have sex with a 17 year if it were legal, almost certainly wouldn't with a 16 year old though. i am not sure why, but i am not about to compel other people to adopt my philosophy.
Old 07-28-2007, 01:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The fact that different states have different ages of consent makes it a silly law imo.

For example: You live in CA and go to college there and you're 18 or older. It's the Fall semester. Your girlfriend is 17 yrs and 10 months as she is born in November and it's currently September. Your girlfriend is from Pennsylvania where age of consent is 16. However both of you are not in in California where the age of consent is 18. So which applies!?

[/ QUOTE ]

the dynamics of each state is why there are different laws per state.

does anyone know if a rare scenario like this is covered under any federal law?
Old 07-28-2007, 02:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

For example: You live in CA and go to college there and you're 18 or older. It's the Fall semester. Your girlfriend is 17 yrs and 10 months as she is born in November and it's currently September. Your girlfriend is from Pennsylvania where age of consent is 16. However both of you are not in in California where the age of consent is 18. So which applies!?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

IANAL but I'm pretty sure the only law that applies is the law of the jurisdiction where the action in question occurs. That's Common Law, I believe.

It makes no difference where you're from, just where you are.
Old 07-28-2007, 02:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's almost certainly where the sex takes place. The only exception might be if you took her across state lines just to have sex with her because it was legal in a bordering state and not in yours.