Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2007, 08:22 PM

Default [General] When should you be using this line?

I'm deliberatlely being as vague as possible. Hero is OOP and the pot is heads-up on the turn.

Turn action: Hero bets, villain raises, hero 3bets, villain caps.

River is a brick. Hero bet/calls.

When is this correct? Give examples.
Old 07-27-2007, 08:27 PM

Default Re: [General] When should you be using this line?

something like 2nd or 3rd set vs a decent villain who raised preflop & board is A or K rainbow unpaired.

two pair on 3-flush board vs LAG.
Old 07-27-2007, 08:41 PM

I dunno maybe something like this

Hero: A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Board: J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] [3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]]

You don't want to check the river since he might check trips or a worse flush behind and you figure to be a dog when he raises the river.

FWIW I don't think Buzzez examples work here. You need a very specific situation and it generally involves either a scare card (like a 4th [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]) or a card that improves your hand (though typically with a qualifier).
Old 07-27-2007, 08:50 PM

lower boat with no flush or straight possibilities.

has to be specific boards however. and hand ranges have to make sense given preflop and flop action.
Old 07-27-2007, 11:16 PM

Chad,

I don't think it is ever correct unless the guy will automatically raise the river (and then play normally) or the guy plays like an idiot and then plays well once the river comes. Good luck finding these kind of conditions anytime soon. For example...

Hero: 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Guy: 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Board: K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] [2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]]

The guy is retarded pre-river and caps the turn with just a pair of twos. But once the river brick comes, your modest two pair figures to be beat when he raises. This [censored] happens but the guy typically won't slowdown on the river. We have said a billion times how bad this approach is and it is easy to see why. You need to create crazy scenarios for it to be correct.

It is appropriate for some non-brick rivers but you should never bet a brick unless you are going to 3-bet.
Old 07-28-2007, 12:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm deliberatlely being as vague as possible. Hero is OOP and the pot is heads-up on the turn.

Turn action: Hero bets, villain raises, hero 3bets, villain caps.

River is a brick. Hero bet/calls.

When is this correct? Give examples.

[/ QUOTE ]
The only time I think I've ever done this is HU versus a maniac when I have the nuts on a draw-laden turn and the river pairs the board. For example, I have AT[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] on a board of 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and the river comes 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].

If I'm up against someone aggressive enough to play either a straight/lower flush this way as well as a set/two pair, I will usually bet the river for value, and if he raises I'd have to call it because he may be dumb enough to raise a hand I still beat.

If the river bricks off, in order to bet/call I'd need a very specific read that Villain is capable of gassing the turn with air but usually does not raise the river without a very good hand. Those players are pretty rare online. I have seen them live, though, where the river is a MUBS hotzone and nobody but me knows how to value-bet.
Old 07-28-2007, 12:32 AM

Against a sane, somewhat decent opponent:

1)Hero holds A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Turn: K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

River: 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

2) Hero holds J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Turn: J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

River: A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Against a crazy, extremely bad opponent:

Hero holds 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Turn: A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

River: 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

EDIT: reading comprehension is good. River is a brick. A-ha. Give me a minute.
Old 07-28-2007, 12:37 AM

Okay, against a sane, somewhat decent opponent:

Hero holds 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Board: A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

River: 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Where villain raised preflop & is not known to overplay on the big streets.
Old 07-28-2007, 07:05 AM

XXXXs and river blank (unpaired board, capped PF) and whe have AK with K high flush?

Or better here is just c/c river?
Old 07-28-2007, 04:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
something like 2nd or 3rd set vs a decent villain who raised preflop & board is A or K rainbow unpaired.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a perfect example of a spot where like half the forum does this even though it makes no sense. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]