Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 03:52 PM

Default Quality or Quantity?

Hi guys, i'm new to this forums..I've read them sometimes before but i never posted.

Well, i play 20+2$ 6handed STTs on a regular basis, and most of the times i play 3, max 4 tables.....
I play almost everyday, and i consider myself a semi-pro because i left my part-time job as i'm getting more money from poker than i got before...
Well, i have to say i don't play more than 2 or 3 hours a day, as i seem to destroy those tables and always get a 50-100$ income everyday, without playing so much. The S$Gs i play are not turbo so an average one finishes in about a hour and a half.

My question is...Should i play more tables? I think i would be able to handle it without much training, as i'm good at multitabling and i'm trained by years of semi-pro videogaming....I've read some of you play 20 tables at once or something like that...But are they turbo? How can you play so many tables and maximize your profit by exploiting the weaknesses of the other players?

I'm not sure i've been fully understandable in this post, if you have any questions, thoughts or hints, feel free to write!

-Valentino-
Old 07-27-2007, 04:06 PM

Default Re: Quality or Quantity?

I play 12 at a time and I'm still able to make read-based plays (w/ a hud) and maximize value w/ my big hands early. Later on there are more decisions per minute but by then you're pretty much in push/fold mode so you don't have to worry about that stuff anymore. It just takes practice, and if you think you can handle more you should be.
Old 07-27-2007, 04:06 PM

IBL. maximize your hourly rate. Good luck.
Old 07-27-2007, 04:12 PM

Mmmhhh IBL?

By the way i feel the kind of S&Gs i play are a bit different from the ones you play...Mine are 6handed, which means more action, and the blinds go up slowly so one tournament lasts for 1 hour and a half...
And really, i feel like my success comes from playing non-mechanical poker in this STTs, as the field is REALLY weak, and focusing on the players really makes my skill win the tournaments for me, so i feel like if i played more tables i wouldn't be able to do so, and i would hav eto play ABC poker and i would win less...

But i don't use any hud - script - tracking program or whatever....Should i?
Old 07-27-2007, 04:18 PM

I will put an example to be more understandable...
Let's say i start to play, i open 2 20+2$ 6-handed STTs...After 1hour and a half they're finished...
Since when i started to track my results, i got in the first 3 spots about 80% of the time, and it's the first 2 that get the money...
So, most of the times, after 1 hour and a half, when the first 2 STTs end, i place in the money in both...And almost always i win at least one of the 2.
Let's say that the average is 1 first place and 1 second place (even if i know, the real average is worse than that, but this is an example after all), i am +76$ in a hour and a half...Which means a hourly rate of 50$ more or less...And most of the time if i do well, after 4-5 tournaments i finish my playing session.
So, my thoughts are that my high hourly rate comes from the high attention i pay to the play of these few tables, and i don't know if my rate would increase or decrease playing more tables. What do you think?
Old 07-27-2007, 04:32 PM

I normally play 4 @ a time. I have tried more and occassionally play more, but 4 seems to be my good spot. Getting first place 50% of the time is,even in 6 max, isn't maintainable. Just don't expect to make $50 an hour playing 2 @ a time at this level. My ROI is 19%, so I make about $4 for every one I play at this level. Even with these numbers they may be far from my actual earn, because I only have a little over 1,000 games. In conclusion, it's great your beating them; play as many of them you can profitable play within your emotional and $ bankroll; don't put much stock in results until you have a few thousand under your belt. Good Luck
Old 07-27-2007, 04:35 PM

Another thing i have to say, is that paying a lot of attention to the players during the tournament, gives me a little edge when i reach the final heads-up.....And in 6 max, winning the final heads-up makes a HUGE difference.
In my stats, i win the HU around 75% of the time, which could be the explanation to the rate i told you before...And the poor field should be the explanation to this [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-27-2007, 04:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Another thing i have to say, is that paying a lot of attention to the players during the tournament, gives me a little edge when i reach the final heads-up.....And in 6 max, winning the final heads-up makes a HUGE difference.
In my stats, i win the HU around 75% of the time, which could be the explanation to the rate i told you before...And the poor field should be the explanation to this [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

So basically you're running hot. Therefore I hate you.

(I don't really hate you, but you are running hot.)
Old 07-27-2007, 04:47 PM

Most of the questions you have can be answered here:

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...=0#Post10393737
Old 07-27-2007, 05:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Most of the questions you have can be answered here:

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...=0#Post10393737

[/ QUOTE ]

and here:

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...part=1&vc=1