Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2007, 12:18 PM

Default Playing nut flush draws.

Hey, Wondered what everyones take is on playing nut flush draws. I have given an example below.. How would u play it differntly. After the hand I kind of wished I had check raised all in on the flop.

Ultimate Bet - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.50/$1 Blinds - 3 Players - (LegoPoker HH Converter)

SB: $49.00
Hero (BB): $111.65
BTN: $101.00

Preflop: Hero is dealt K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (3 Players)
<font color="red">BTN raises to $3.50</font>, SB calls $3.00, <font color="red">Hero raises to $15.00</font>, BTN calls $11.50, SB folds

Flop: ($33.50) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $20.00</font>, BTN calls $20.00

Turn: ($73.50) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero.....</font>

Also anyone have any links on posts regarding flush draws?

Thanks
Old 07-27-2007, 12:38 PM

Default Re: Playing nut flush draws.

push allin
Old 07-27-2007, 12:59 PM

Shove. crai on flop is ok also.
Old 07-27-2007, 01:00 PM

ALL IN
Old 07-27-2007, 01:18 PM

1. Estimate the odds that your opponent will call your allin on the turn.
2. Estimate the odds that you will win assuming your opponent calls.
3. ????
4. Profit.

Step 1 involves all the psychology and hand reading of poker. Or you could just go with 50%.
Step 2 requires putting your opponent on a range of hands, counting your outs, and looking up the answer in a table. Sometimes villain has a flush draw when he calls and sometimes he doesn't. Sometimes one of your overcards is live, sometimes both are, and sometimes he has a set. Go with 10 outs (or about 4:1 odds of winning.)
Step 3 involves math and decision making. Going allin costs $101. Half the time he folds and you win the pot (EV=$36.75 ) the other half the time he calls, and you win a big pot 1/5 of those times (EV=$174.5) and lose 4/5 of the time EV=-$101). Total EV of pushing: .5 x $36.75 + .5 * (.2 x $174.5 + .8 x -$101) = -$4.58. The EV of pushing allin is negative, so don't do it. Take some other action like weakly checking and hoping for a free card or putting out a blocking bet like $20 and hoping for a cheap card.
Step 4 will only materialize after many, many repetitions of the above.

Also, notice that the EV is only -$5 on a $100 investment. If your stack had been a slightly different size, or if you thought villain was slightly more or slightly less likely to call, then the best decision could easily change. This is one of those cases where the answer is hard because your EV doesn't really depend much on what you do.
Old 07-27-2007, 01:34 PM

Thanks,

I actually did put him all in and he turned over AA and i missed! The crai line on flop could of possibly taken him off his hand.....
Old 07-27-2007, 01:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Shove. crai on flop is ok also.

[/ QUOTE ]

curious about the crai line, it would look super sketchy with the flush draw on the flop. this is 3-handed, i can't see QQ+ folding here, maybe AJ.
Old 07-27-2007, 02:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks,

I actually did put him all in and he turned over AA and i missed! The crai line on flop could of possibly taken him off his hand.....

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, please stop kidding yourself. He INSTA-calls with AA if you c/raise the flop.

You bluffed, and villain had the top of his range. Move on. Pushing here is about getting hands like 77-TT to fold, not about getting AA to fold.
Old 07-27-2007, 02:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks,

[/ QUOTE ]

Something to consider: I'm much less likely to try a semibluff when I have a NFD since I hope vill is on the same draw and I can stack him if the draw hits.

Also, your cr/ai line will fold out some hands but AA isn't folding here ever at these stakes.