Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2007, 10:38 AM

Default Trying to build with SNG

I have been trying to build a bankroll and currently have it spread out over three sites. I am thinking of getting back into SNG, because I have had success with them in the past. My ambition is to be able to have enough to comfortably buy into bigger tournaments, and also to have extra money to take vacations, and also eventually add to investments from money that I make off Poker. While in school, I had tons of time to play, however now I am strapped for time with work and life. I am averaging only about 7 hours a week, which is not much and I am having trouble building my roll back up. My questions are:

1. How often do you play a week, and what kind of roll have you been able to build with that time?

2. Are my poker ambitions to high for the little amount of time I have to invest?

3. Any suggestions as to where to start, which site, any tips and/or suggestions are more than welcome. Thanks.

Thanks
Old 07-27-2007, 10:53 AM

Default Re: Trying to build with SNG

1. While at home I put in about 50ish turbos on UB a week. I play the 5.50's and average about $1.80 profit per game. I've been strictly tracking and grinding sngs for about a month and have made $229 to date...this profit includes a stint back in cash games after a bad run at the $11's. I would play more but my mom likes to hassle me about it and t hinks I play for play money hahaha. seriously its sad I know. Once I get to school I plan on playing at least 1k a month but I think you can def put in 70 a week if you only 5 or 6 table turbos.

3. And I would start on FTP if you have a full $650 to deposit for the nice sign up bonus...although I don't know if you can play high enough volume to release the whole thing (not personally sure on how FTP bonuses release). And basically read eveything in this forum it has helped me immensly, post hands, get sng wiz, be patient.

GL

2. And no ambitions aren't too high as long as you realize it may take awhile to attain the kind of cash you would like. Having something to play for..a goal makes this much more fun and easier.
Old 07-27-2007, 11:31 AM

2. Yes you are over-reaching in what you want to do with your roll. If you have less than 10 hours/week to play making any signifigant amount will be very rough, no matter what level you play.

3. I agree to go with Full Tilt to get the 100% bonus. Best deal out there to build a bankroll.

I have found SNG's to be profitable for me, even at the micro-levels I play at. I personally turned $40 into $500 but it took almost year to do it. It is possible--just not quickly. Play for the fun. If you hit a good run, take some profit and enjoy it--just don't go in expecting to cash out 20% profits every month.
Old 07-27-2007, 11:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
3. And I would start on FTP if you have a full $650 to deposit for the nice sign up bonus...although I don't know if you can play high enough volume to release the whole thing

[/ QUOTE ]

It'd be about 1500 $12's in four months, so it's doable.
Old 07-27-2007, 01:15 PM

Playing for some extra money is always doable...

Depends on what your goals are. But at first, your best investment is going to be in your self. What I mean by that is, it best to just keep the money online and continue to build a roll, rather than withdraw to invest, etc. You'll probably get a higher return on your money by being able to move up in stakes, than any other investment you can make.
Old 07-27-2007, 06:07 PM

like what Devin said, improve your game is most important
if you are good enough, you can grow a bankroll pretty quickly

I started with 300 on stars last December and played 6.5s to get it to 500 in a week (I had played a lot of games before that, just trying out stars software and games), played 16s for about 500 games to get to 2700, played 27s for 500 hundred games to get to 6k, all this happened before the end of January.

of course, after that I only won 8k for 1500 games at 60s and got burned out and switched to cash after April.

point is if you can multi-table and have good skills, you should be able to increase your roll quickly, provided that you are good enough to continue to move up and still be profitable.

I 8-table and played about 200 games a week (~20 hours/wk)
Old 07-27-2007, 06:37 PM

I 8 table the $22 sitngos at party and make $40 an hour. $500 is a good enough starting buyin for those limits assuming you are a winning player.
Old 07-27-2007, 06:48 PM

Yesterday I deposited $22 bucks at Bodog. I played a 20+2 HeadsUp SNG and won it to to earn $40. From there I moved to a $35+3 (6 Handed)and ended up winning that as well for another $136.5. It was still quite early and I played a $105+9 (10 Handed) and won $525. So I was around $550 at this point. I wanted to try my luck one more time so I tried the highest stakes 6 handed tournament they had which was a $220+15. Won that and BOOM got a cool $858 for first place. Now im sitting at a cool $1200 for a nights work (About 4 hours of fun).

I'm probably gonna go to the 2000 NL and go all in and see if I can get $2400 [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

THATS HOW YOU BUILD A BANKROLL!!!! TAKE RISKS MAN!
Old 07-27-2007, 06:52 PM

BTW: I was all serious about that story. I am probably gonna take it slow and play $10+1 ten handed SNG's till I can build it up to $2000.
Old 07-27-2007, 08:01 PM

I am into using sng's to make a large bankroll myself. I think the short hours will not be enough I play that a day easy, I believe that you start at the single tables very small then use your earnings to move up and qualify for the big events then clear 10-20 grand for a bank roll. I can make more at a NL ring game every hand is money made if you set the odds, were as a sng is all a security option and a risk reducing method. My advice is learn the ring game of NL and the enter a sng that pays out what you what for a stack win that then go to the table and set through that you can double up with a nut hand and there is your extraaa money. if you lost your start then go back. Also I would start at Bodog the software is a mess but the freerolls could give you a start for nothing that's how one of the best online tourney players started win one of them and start out there. But truely these hot streaks are pure luck and things always change so keep learning and remember if you cannot beat the small games you will not beat the bigger no matter how much you have this year. Also learn poker in total nl is not everything in the game; They say that Omaha 8 is the best game if you are short on money or any quality, it is very easy and the NL version is just a waiting game,texas is very hard higher up and not for everyone In O8 you can wait for the nuts go all in and get called all over and win a jumbo pot no risk.