Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2007, 08:03 PM

Default Call the min raise with sooted connecters ( I was trying to steal)

Live MTT - Blinds are 500/1000, no antes. I've just been moved to the table with two other players.

Relavent Stacks
Hero (CO) - t15,000
BB - t22,000
Average stack is about t6,500

Folded to me in CO and I try to steal the blinds. I'm dealt 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and raise to t3000. Folded to the BB who min-raises to t6000.

Only read I have on BB is that he was at my last table for a few hands and came off as a college aged Jamie Gold that talked alot of smack. This means he either has the goods or has any two cards.

Hero....?
Old 07-26-2007, 08:18 PM

Default Re: Call the min raise with sooted connecters ( I was trying to steal)

Your hand pretty much sucks HU in a pot with such a short stack. I don't much like attempting to steal blinds for 1/5th my stack, especially with 65. I'm guessing he's planning on shoving just about every flop, so you're gonna be folding a huge % of the time, plus when you do connect you'll either be a big underdog to an overpair, or will have to dodge outs. Only very rarely will you nail the flop (2p, trips, straight/flush or good draw).

It's quite nitty to fold getting 3.5-1, but this hand is at the VERY bottom of your stealing range (I hope), so it's not like he's exploiting you big-time with his minraise here.
Old 07-26-2007, 08:38 PM

Not enough information. What's the money situation? How many chips do the button and small blind have? Any history with them or the BB, besides thinking he's a Jamie Gold wannabe? (I wouldn't mind being Jamie Gold, come to think of it). What's your image? Have you been tight? Shown down any big hands? Been caught stealing before? How are people at the table playing, tight or loose? Have people been stealing YOUR blind or giving you walks? (i.e. do you really need to steal at all?) Are there no antes for the duration of the tournament or will there be antes later, giving you more chips to steal? Did you pay your electric bill? Etc. etc.

In the absence of any other information, I hate this play. Your M=10, which means you shouldn't be opening the pot here unless the three people to your left are the nittiest nits that ever lived. Besides, it looks like you are one of the chip leaders (avg. stack 6600), so when you have 15k, why are you trying to pick on someone who has 22k? Do you have a death wish or something? Did you even think about what you would do if someone reraised, or did you just auto-raise because it was folded to you? Yeah, that's what I thought.

Well buddy, you got what you deserved. Now you have to fold like the little bitch that you are. You will lose 20% of your stack, and whatever image you may have had will be wrecked, as you will now become a prime target for resteals. Next time try mucking your 56 instead.
Old 07-26-2007, 08:44 PM

Thanks for the reply. I tanked but finally made called the extra t3000 getting over 3:1.

Flop: 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 players, Pot = t12,500)

BB raises all-in t16,000....wooohooooo. I insta call and he flips over Pocket Jacks (?!?). Turn and river bricks and MHIG.

However, BB went on major tilt and started berating my PF call. I just wanted to see if it was a bad as he was making out.

I called his minraise stooopid....who wants to see action OOP with JJ?
Old 07-26-2007, 08:50 PM

lol @ calling the OP a little bitch... that's not very nice!

As for the call, anytime you're getting 3.5-1 on a call pre-flop, it can't be THAT bad. I'm sure if he were looking hard he could find plenty of worse plays to berate. Still, he definitely shouldn't be min-raising pocket jacks in this spot, because he should be expecting a call (and correctly) a majority of the time. It just so happened that this wasn't one of them.

By my count, there were 3 mistakes made in this hand - your original raise, his min-raise, and your call.
Old 07-26-2007, 08:51 PM

lol D Bosola you have to be the most helpful, charming, fun loving, usefull bloke ever? I would love to suck out on you with 56s and watch you flip out and throw chairs at people.