Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2007, 05:28 PM

Default Dell vs Mac for Poker/Business

Hi,

We're buying a new laptop for our business, and choosing which to buy, I'm trying to consider not only biz-related issues, but poker-related issues as well.

For our work, I really need 2gb (expandable to 4gb) of RAM, and 2.33GhZ or so.

Thus, I've narrowed down to the MacBook Pro or the top-notch Dell, both of which are about 2900 with the best 17" glossy screen, etc.

There are a couple of things I just can't resolve, though - and everyone is giving me different information:

1. Just for purposes of not getting viruses, isn't a Mac a better deal than an equivalently priced PC?

2. I prefer BoDog to the Mac-able sites such as Full Tilt. Someone at CompUSA is trying to tell me that "the new Mac is like a PC too, you can run anything by running it in 'PC format'". Is this true? Can I thus play on BoDog on a Mac?

3. Does doing (2), if it exists, open the Mac to those viruses that I thought I was immune from (in 1)?

Also, if anyone knows of a cheaper way to get the speed/power I'd like (I really only care about 2gb+, expandable to 4gb, 2.33MhZ+, etc... I dont need any other funky features) - I'd love to hear suggestions.

Thanks.

PC
Old 07-26-2007, 05:58 PM

Default Re: Dell vs Mac for Poker/Business

I dont know what "PC format" is, but you can run a Windows OS on the Macs using either Boot Camp or Parallels. I have heard that Boot Camp is the best way to go. I think on Parallels it actually runs inside of the mac os, where in boot camp they run seperately, but I am not sure.
Old 07-26-2007, 06:06 PM

Location: tell them ill be here when they come 4 me, me and every single n1gga dat got love 4 me, see i got money on my mind, but the haters wont leave me alone, so im ridin everyday wit every pistol dat i own

google.com

you set up a partition for windows and you boot up each time you want to play or you can use virutalization which means it runs combined with OS X. windows can still get viruses but OS X will not. so just use windows for poker and thats it
Old 07-26-2007, 07:22 PM

if you want to do the virtuallization route, that is what paralles is for. I think it costs money though. I beleive you can download bootcamp for free from Apple.

With parallels both OSs share all resources and run at the same time. You can reboot one and still work in the other. With boot camp you use one at a time and will have better performance since you are not sharing resources.
Old 07-26-2007, 11:44 PM

Location: tell them ill be here when they come 4 me, me and every single n1gga dat got love 4 me, see i got money on my mind, but the haters wont leave me alone, so im ridin everyday wit every pistol dat i own

yes it costs will build up because you will have to buy a new XP/Vista most likely because the disks that come with dells only work with dells
Old 07-27-2007, 12:15 AM

Parallels is 80 bucks and will let you run Windows software on the Mac while still running Mac stuff. This doesn't apply to super graphics intensive stuff which most poker sites aren't.

XP is another 130ish bucks and Vista is about twice that so if you go the mac route you are well over 3 grand just to turn it on unless you have a copy that isn't licensed to a particular machine and can use that.

Unless you have a big reason to move your bidness to a Mac you are probably better off staying Windows.
Old 07-27-2007, 01:29 AM

Is a $210 difference when buying a $3000 computer really the deciding factor?

It would be a good idea to do some research about Dell's hardware quality vs. Apple's hardware quality, as this is really / should be your deciding decision if you're primarily going to use Windows. If you think you'd like to use the Mac operating system for some activities, I don't see how anyone would justify saving a little money to get an entirely inferior system.

The Dell is ugly and heavy. The Apple looks better than any laptop on the market and is significantly thinner/lighter.

I think spending $3000 on a Dell laptop instead of an Apple would be a horrible decision, but, if you do it, at least make sure you do it for the right reasons. If not paying for a copy of XP is your only concern, then I guess the Dell is the clear choice.

EDIT: Also, to answer original questions:

1. Just for purposes of not getting viruses, isn't a Mac a better deal than an equivalently priced PC?

-Yes, and it's not even close.

2. I prefer BoDog to the Mac-able sites such as Full Tilt. Someone at CompUSA is trying to tell me that "the new Mac is like a PC too, you can run anything by running it in 'PC format'". Is this true? Can I thus play on BoDog on a Mac?

-You can run the Windows operating system as well as you can on a Dell.

3. Does doing (2), if it exists, open the Mac to those viruses that I thought I was immune from (in 1)?

-Your Windows system will be just as vulnerable to viruses as a Windows system running on a Dell. Your Mac system will not be. They're separate systems so you shouldn't have viruses "carry over." (Though it may technically be possible, this really isn't your main concern. Google for more on this.) It's important to note that Macs can get viruses, so you're not technically "immune." You're just much, much safer than you are inside a Windows system.
Old 07-27-2007, 05:46 AM

Before answering anything else, are you sure you need it to be a laptop?
Old 07-28-2007, 04:39 PM

as cheap as computers are do you really want to use your business computer for gambling on the web.
why risk compromising personal and business data just so you can use the same computer. it just takes once to mess up and you will regret it.
Old 07-29-2007, 12:18 AM

Keep in mind that if you want 4 GB of ram you need a 64 bit operating system. You can have 4 GB with a 32 bit OS but you won't be allowed to use all of it.

The downside to a 64 bit OS is that the driver support is a fair bit worse. It'll be hit/miss for the most part. Double check each (google) piece of hardware to make sure the drivers aren't in bad shape or non-existent.