Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2007, 05:05 PM

Default 2nd barreled, fire the third?

This is more of a general enquiry into second barreling with a hand too. I feel I should be using the second barrel more, as I've only been using it sparingly and against specific opponents, those I know call a lot of flop bets but give up on the turn easier. So, anything you can tell me about your experiences appreciated. What hands work better (overcards/draws/complete air)? What boards? etc.

On this hand, I would usually check behind on the turn, effective giving the pot up but I felt he was weak and with the scarecard Ace on the turn, I thought I'd take a shot. His line seems like some kind draw (diamond/combo with hearts possibly?) or a slowplayed set of 6s or 7s. Do we fire the river, given that any meaningful bet commits most of our remaining stack? Villain was 27/6/0.5 over 33 hands for what it's worth...

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Button ($15.05)
SB ($14.90)
BB ($16.40)
UTG ($24.75)
MP ($12.30)
Hero ($27.10)

Preflop: Hero is CO with 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls $0.25, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $1.25</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, UTG calls $1.

Flop: ($2.85) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $2</font>, UTG calls $2.

Turn: ($6.85) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $5.5</font>, UTG calls $5.50.

River: ($17.85) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, Hero ???

Edited: villains vpip was 27, not 20.
Old 07-26-2007, 05:09 PM

Default Re: 2nd barreled, fire the third?

In this situation if I know villian really really good and I have showed some big hands. I will value bet bluff. It works most of the time, so, for me, +ev.

This guys stats look like he might call.

IMO.
Old 07-27-2007, 07:19 AM

bump
Old 07-27-2007, 07:23 AM

I'd fire because of the missed draws.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I feel I should be using the second barrel more, as I've only been using it sparingly and against specific opponents, those I know call a lot of flop bets but give up on the turn easier.

[/ QUOTE ]

Those specific situations seem perfect to second barrel. I don't see the reasoning behind doing it more because you "feel you should be second barrelling more."

That said, I think this second barrel is okay. I don't like firing a third one because although the draws missed, villain could easily have the Ad or Jd and look you up because the pot is pretty large already (unless you were planning on shoving, in which case the Jd probably folds). I don't think this one is worth it. If the river were the 2c, then I think I like a third barrel more.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:41 AM

personally, a guy with a PFR of 6 is only raising good hands, so from UTG a limp usually means qk,qj, etc-- with a pair of 5s and no real hope for many outs if he calls the second barrel, i usually don't make that move as the river will either drain me of money that shouldn't be in the pot, or i'll have to shut down-- on second barrels i like to have some sort of draw so i can play the hand more effectively on the river-- i think double barreling with no plan for river if he calls and checks is spewey, as it leaves a lot of your chips in the pot
Old 07-27-2007, 09:44 AM

even if his line represents a draw, hes not calling a bet on the river unless he has you beat most of the time, he might lay down q x but at this levels, a TP lay down is unlikely, a double barrel is not bad but when you make moves like this, be sure you have a strong read on villan
Old 07-27-2007, 09:47 AM

if he had a bare flush draw, you're ahead

if he had a flush draw with an ace in it, he probably won't lay his hand down

so on the river you're only looking to bluff out something like KQ, QdXd (of which there aren't that many combinations that someone would limp UTG with, and QJ has now hit two pair), or an optimistic 88/99. doesn't seem worth it

i like this second barrel though
Old 07-27-2007, 12:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I feel I should be using the second barrel more, as I've only been using it sparingly and against specific opponents, those I know call a lot of flop bets but give up on the turn easier.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see the reasoning behind doing it more because you "feel you should be second barrelling more."

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't word that part too well. I 'feel' I should be doing it more because at times standard raising and c-betting feels barely +EV and I've been considering ways around this.

Thanks to everyone for input. For anyone who's interested:
PuppyFleet: checks
*** SHOW DOWN ***
may64: shows [7h 8h] (a pair of Sevens)
PuppyFleet: mucks hand