Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2007, 10:11 AM

Default Read this player

Can you get a read off someone by noticing 1 hand? By that I mean do you think it's safe you pigeon hole someone when you see a certain type of hand? For example... the following hand it just stood out to me... can you or would you give me your read of UTG (or what notes would you make if any).

I'm going to post hands like this more I think if this works out... because reads and betting patterns may be a weak part of my game.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t20 (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

SB (t1460)
BB (t1460)
UTG (t1890)
UTG+1 (t1320)
MP1 (t3260)
MPB (t1420)
MP3 (t3100)
CO (t1080)
Button (t1400)

Preflop:
UTG calls t20, UTG+1 calls t20, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, CO calls t20, Button calls t20, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t120) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets t40</font>, UTG+1 calls t40, CO calls t40, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds.

Turn: (t240) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, CO checks.

River: (t240) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, CO checks.

Final Pot: t240

UTG has Ks 8c (flush, ace high).
UTG+1 has Kd 7d (one pair, kings).
CO has Th Qs (straight, ace high).
Outcome: UTG wins t240.
Old 07-26-2007, 10:14 AM

Default Re: Read this player

Well, I notice UTG limped K8o and bet 1/3 the pot with TPWK, then slowed down when the board became dangerous. Watch his limping consistencies because he could be a loose-passive player.
Old 07-26-2007, 10:17 AM

I would say that this player likes to see a lot of flops with marginal hands, does not understand position, but can evaluate his relative hand value based on the board.

EDIT: also entirely possible, although i'd want to see at least one more hand to prove it, that his bets reflect the strength of his hand.
Old 07-26-2007, 10:46 AM

Great post.

Notes:

UTG: Pussy, passive, overplays marginal hands, no understanding of position, allow him to give you easy draws, don't get over aggro with him with air, he could wind up calling down more than you think (get better read first). Semi-bluffing very valuable. Consistently bet into him at like 75% pot on all streets - will call down, for example, with A8 against your A10 or AJ. If you can go for a kill on a river when you feel like he has TPWK or 2PWK, go for it, because players like this get frustrated as they aren't getting value with anything. Be careful for mini-raises and such - usually they mean he has something (at least 2nd pair) and proceed with caution with a marginal holding. FINALLY, you probably have more FE preflop against him than you think.

UTG +1: Probably the same.

CO: LOL.

Barry
Old 07-26-2007, 10:56 AM

I'd note UTG as loose passive. Take him to valuetown as he'll pay off with 2nd best hand, but respect it if he raises or checkraises the turn or river. Doesn't understand position or pot odds.
Old 07-26-2007, 11:10 AM

The main note I would make on UTG would be that his EP limps should not scare me.
Old 07-26-2007, 11:23 AM

in general an UTG limper is supposed to have one of these hands:

-pocket pairs from 22 to 88 (you know, not strong enough for a raise but wroth being played for set value)
-Aces or Kings (his aim is to either slowplay or come over the top with a big raise if someone else shows strenght preflop)
-a trash hand like Q5 suited or K6 off suite (Those guys - you will happen to run into them quite often at the early stages of a tournament - simply don`t understand what position means. They play those kind of hands because they think they might get lucky with any 2 cards and although it`s -Ev, they are right. Don`t pay them off if the are!)
Old 07-27-2007, 08:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Great post.

Notes:

UTG: Pussy, passive, overplays marginal hands, no understanding of position, allow him to give you easy draws, don't get over aggro with him with air, he could wind up calling down more than you think (get better read first). Semi-bluffing very valuable. Consistently bet into him at like 75% pot on all streets - will call down, for example, with A8 against your A10 or AJ. If you can go for a kill on a river when you feel like he has TPWK or 2PWK, go for it, because players like this get frustrated as they aren't getting value with anything. Be careful for mini-raises and such - usually they mean he has something (at least 2nd pair) and proceed with caution with a marginal holding. FINALLY, you probably have more FE preflop against him than you think.

UTG +1: Probably the same.

CO: LOL.

Barry

[/ QUOTE ]

This is why I think need to improve here. My note said something like "loose, passive and draw against this guy all day long". That's as far as I got...
Old 07-27-2007, 09:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The main note I would make on UTG would be that his EP limps should not scare me.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-27-2007, 10:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe this is where I'm kind of dense... but at lower buy-ins I don't let any UTG limps scare me until late in tourneys when the deadwood is cleared out. I don't think this guy will be aorund that long [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] But at other levels we need to make this note? Is it often that people minraise monsters in EP?