Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2007, 02:52 AM

Default i suck when the blinds go up NLTRN

At the moment, i'm playing the 20s and 30s on fulltilt. I think my biggest leak is my game when the blinds are 25/50 and higher. My approach to the game is basically:

i loosen up on the button. I limp with most hands i would have folded when the blinds were 10/20, fold only the real junk like 82o and T3o.
i raise a little bit more hands, always to 2.5BB.

On the BB i play pretty tight, 3bet 99+, AJ+, KQ. Call with hands like QJ, A9 and fold the rest.

Of course it varies and depends on the opponent.

So, what would you recommend to improve my game at these stages? How can i learn a good push/fold-strategy? Or are the blinds too small for a push/fold-mode?

PS: I'm swiss, i'm sorry if you get a headache from reading my terrible english..
Old 07-26-2007, 03:10 AM

Default Re: i suck when the blinds go up

You shouldn't be limping so much; certainly not more than before. You need to take advantage of your tighter image. Or be more aggro to begin with. And push/fold doesn't kick in till 10bb or so. What you're looking for is called SAGE. It's explained in an article on cardplayer I think. I'm pretty sure it was linked to an a recent post.
Old 07-26-2007, 03:28 AM

i've read about the sage-system, but it's not what i am looking for. Im looking for some general advice for the game when the stacks are about 25BB.
cwar mentioned this in his poo-bah-post.
Do you think it would be a good idea to look for a headsup-cashgame, search an opponent with 20 or 25BB and buy in for the same amount? Just for practice-reasons.
Old 07-26-2007, 11:51 AM

what is the problem exactly? What you are doing sounds reasonable enough.
Old 07-26-2007, 11:57 AM

Maybe you should post some hands and start getting feedback from better players.
Old 07-26-2007, 01:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe you should post some hands and start getting feedback from better players.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-26-2007, 01:12 PM

See, I'm more likely to limp more kinds of hands at 10/20, when the blinds are small and losing 1 BB isn't a big hit to your stack if you miss, than at 25/50 or 50/100 where 1 BB is relatively crucial.

But yea, definitely post individual hands.
Old 07-26-2007, 02:04 PM

If you're looking for practice in that area, I'm going to pass on some advice that was given to me by a very smart person.

I think he gave me this advice just because your hourly rate can be so much higher, not because he thought I needed a lot of work in that area, but in hindsight, hourly rate aside, it's the best advice he could have given me, because it became very obvious very quickly that I have the same weak spot, especially against very aggressive players.

Drop to a lower level and play turbos. Most of the game is played in that stack range, and the players are generally more aggressive than the regulars.
Old 07-26-2007, 04:55 PM

Dboy actually told me to do this when I was starting out in the 20 regular speed games a few months ago. I moved down to 11 turbos and am extremely happy I made this change.

Plus it's a lot harder to find a game in the regular speeds as you move up, the turbos are where everybody seems to play.