Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2007, 10:21 PM

Default $6 6-max turbo AJo on SB

Can you give me some feedback on how I should play this hand? The game is quite loose and all players are making some strange moves. No particular read on villain apart from being loose pf.

Blinds 75/150

Hero SB (1965)
BB (2095)
UTG (1485)
UTG+1 (2085)
Button (1370)

Hero dealt [Ah Jd]
UTG folds
UTG+1 folds
Button folds
Hero raises to 450
BB calls

Flop [ 2h Qh 5d]
Hero Checks
BB bets 900
Hero folds

Did I play this ok? should I have pushed preflop?
Cheers
James
Old 07-26-2007, 01:00 AM

Default Re: $6 6-max turbo AJo on SB

I would not have pushed pre-flop because you are not yet desperate and AJ is easily dominated. But I would have c-bet the flop on general principles. But what the hell is villain up to with the 900 chip bet? Either he is: 1) a total beginner who doesn't want to play the rest of the hand or 2) doesn't want to be called. Without reads and with all the strange moves I'd fold too.

Gabor
Old 07-26-2007, 01:11 AM

Your opponent has apparently found the "pot" button. Why he's pressed it is a mystery. Maybe he has a Q. Maybe he has a flush draw. Maybe he has nothing. He might fold to a push (lol). He might call a push with A2.

You might notice that the pot is t900 and you have about t1500 behind. This is poor pot management. This situation is preventable. It can be prevented by limping. Yeah, no one likes limping in with a good hand BvB, and so on and so on. The thing you have to remember is that your opponent can't see your hand and will reveal information about his as usual. As long as you don't abuse the privilege, you can limp preflop and minbet the flop, yet not get called by anything less than top pair. This works doubly well with an Ax hand, as nobody ever puts you on an ace when you limp from the SB and an ace flops.

OK, everyone have fun flaming that.
Old 07-26-2007, 01:24 AM

I'm pushing this preflop in a loose game in this situation. It's 5 handed and the blinds are coming around fast. I don't want to play this postflop against a loose player, and I want more chips.
Old 07-26-2007, 01:59 AM

lol slim, i like that play a lot in this particular spot, although i think you get called a lot postflop by a loose bad player (more than just tp). assuming we play better postflop than your average $6 turbo player playing a small pot is def good and probably best.

Im fairly sure shoving is +ev tho, we probably get called by worse sometimes... but having said that i wouldnt do it.