Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2007, 07:22 PM

Default I think it\'s correct to call, but enlighten me ssnl

No reads on villain. At the time of the hand he was at 35/26/3.5, over 23 hands. Afterwards he ran at 40/30 or so and proved to be a donktard.

Turn check was for pot control and because I had the gut feeling that he was floating me. Maybe I shouldn't listen to those gut feelings and bet out?

How do you play it?

Full Tilt Poker - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $1/$2 Blinds - 6 Players - (LegoPoker HH Converter)

SB: $205.20
BB: $203.00
UTG: $32.55
Hero (MP): $201.70
CO: $214.95
BTN: $207.20

Preflop: Hero is dealt A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (6 Players)
UTG folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $7.00</font>, CO folds, BTN calls $7.00, 2 folds

Flop: ($17) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $14.00</font>, BTN calls $14.00

Turn: ($45) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">BTN bets $25.00</font>, Hero calls $25.00

River: ($95) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">BTN bets $50.00</font>, Hero calls $50.00

Pot Size: $195.00 ($3 Rake)
Old 07-25-2007, 07:28 PM

Default Re: I think it\'s correct to call, but enlighten me ssnl

Played good
Old 07-25-2007, 07:45 PM

I don't like checking the turn for pot control in this case. I would rather check/call the river on a blank. Seriously, the guy seems loose, even though you only had 23 hands on him. Are you worried about an over pair or set or what? The board is pretty drawy, and you don't have a big pair, so any T-Q is scary to you, along with almost any diamond, and lots of low cards make straights. If he is willing to hard float you and raise the turn with a draw then more power to him.

Meanwhile, I think there is more value to be gotten from weaker 9s, and diamond draws, and maybe a hand like 57 or 88.

In position, I see a very good argument for checking behind the turn (but most of the time I would bet). OOP I think checking this turn is not the best play unless you have a good read that villian will always bet when checked to, and whether or not he is capable of running a big bluff here.

As played you need to call on the river, but i wouldn't be to happy about it.
Old 07-25-2007, 07:51 PM

TY for the response, that makes perfect sense. Hopefully one less leak to worry about
Old 07-25-2007, 08:00 PM

I'd definitely bet/fold this turn OOP to protect and for value. We likely have best hand.

Is it ur std. to open A9o in MP?
Old 07-25-2007, 08:07 PM

No, I was running tight (no cards) at the table for a while and figured I'd raise it up
Old 07-25-2007, 08:09 PM

If you're planning to call the turn then why not bet?
Old 07-26-2007, 04:15 AM

Definitely correct to call on river, leading turn and check call river is what i would have done because u are possibly gaining value from a worse hand and paying off a better one. You dont want to discourage a worse hand from betting in that spot.
Old 07-26-2007, 05:00 AM

Against a passive calling station type player I like a b/f on the turn but against an aggro player I'd rather c/c turn. The reason for this is that an aggressive player will probably raise the flop with a flush draw or a better hand (reads on how he plays draw or TP against the pf raiser?)
but most importantly he will bet the turn when checked to with 100% of his range but will call with less.
Also an aggressive player might decide to raise this turn with air as a delayed bluff and make you fold the best hand which would really suck. Finally taking a passive line on the turn will probably induce villain to take another stab at the pot on the river. Letting an aggressive player bet into you with air is very very ev+ because you're letting him make a very big mistake with a marginal holding.

However this is very player dependant. To summarize if villain is aggressive and will try to push you off your hand everytime you show weakness by checking after c-betting the flop it's very profitable to let him bluff.
However against an unkown or a passive player I would always b/f this turn.