Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2007, 04:07 PM

Default Calling with ace high

I have been playing no-limit for about six months and have a question about whether this hand between Chad Brown and Adam Richardson is a good play or a lucky guess. The hand is on pokertowatch.com (click PTW and scroll down to Chad Brown v Adam Richardson.)

Basically, Chad calls a raise by Adam on the river with Ace high. Is this a great read by Chad or an auto call because the raise was not big enough and Chad was getting the right price to call?

If I make a call like this in my 3/5 game at Commerce one of two things happens...9 out of 10 times I lose because my ace high is beat and the one time I am right it looks like I am a calling station.

Are you better off folding here and saving your chips for a better spot or leaving calls like this to the pros?
Old 07-25-2007, 04:22 PM

Default Re: Calling with ace high

LOL, Chad Brown should never be mentioned in here. He's checked the nuts on the river in a tournement.
Old 07-25-2007, 06:49 PM

Game and player dependent would be my guess. Whether you are better off folding or not will depend on what you did to get to the river with Ace high to start with.
Old 07-25-2007, 11:44 PM

have to read hands/put the other guy on a range. a lot of times it's appropriate to make that call say on a drawy board against an aggressive player if the draw(s) miss.
Old 07-26-2007, 01:15 AM

fold preflop
Old 07-26-2007, 03:35 AM

OP,

Don't call river raises with ace-high unless you have a good idea of what the hell you're doing.

If you don't have very specific reads on your opponent and/or can't clearly state his hand ranges when he takes certain actions, then you don't know what the hell you're doing.

Basically, if you have to ask whether or not calling with ace-high is a good idea, then you shouldn't be trying it.
Old 07-26-2007, 05:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]

If I make a call like this in my 3/5 game at Commerce one of two things happens...9 out of 10 times I lose because my ace high is beat and the one time I am right it looks like I am a calling station.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dont you think that paragraph answers your question?
Old 07-26-2007, 09:59 PM

There are very unique, live game situations where you can do this. And it doesnt happen often enough to make it a regular thing. Its when you know he didnt hit anything, and he is just trying to buy it....akin to calling down with 44 or some other weak hand...your saying you didnt connect, and I know you didnt. If youre asking if you should do it, dont.