Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2007, 11:16 PM

Default Raising limpers with nothing

I'm interested in the theory behind this.

If everyone limps to you in late position, it's obviously tempting to raise it up and attempt a steal. What are the guidelines on this? Do you wait for suited connectors or raise with trash? How often should you do it? Is it a bad idea on microstakes tables? Do you attempt it from the blinds?

Many thanks...
Old 07-24-2007, 11:33 PM

Default Re: Raising limpers with nothing

hard to say, generally when everyone limps somebody UTG is trying to slow play, and if you dont raise alot everyone has great odds (they will be in the hand.) If there is a slowplayer under the gun any raise will put them all in (not as likely but be cautious in a situation like this.)I think its a good theory to only push all-in on a full table with aa (not ak or kk)on a short table add kk or with ak,kk,qq,AQs on a full table bet double the pot, if you get raised utg fold. suited connectors call for the odds only, you just really dont have any information no matter what the posistion and the odds are you will get called and find yourself in a bad situation. alot of people have certain hands they dont like to play agg. w/ but will call no matter what, like jj, tt. with your big hand you;ll prolly get paid off and with little hands you might find yourself in a trap.
Old 07-24-2007, 11:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm interested in the theory behind this.

If everyone limps to you in late position, it's obviously tempting to raise it up and attempt a steal. What are the guidelines on this? Do you wait for suited connectors or raise with trash? How often should you do it? Is it a bad idea on microstakes tables? Do you attempt it from the blinds?

Many thanks...

[/ QUOTE ]

Look up fees' thread from earlier today ... then look up BevilTheDevils 25NL AP vid also here on the front page, where this also was dicussed, and where I disagree a wee bit with fee (and kaz, and whoever else posted [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] ).

Then decide, who you yourself agree most with [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-24-2007, 11:37 PM

I would make this play with a decent holding that has the potential to flap hard. Eg. PP, SC, etc. I don't do it with air nearly ever. I don't attempt this in the blinds im pretty tight from the blinds.
Old 07-24-2007, 11:41 PM

fees just wrote an artical about this today, look through the past few pages.
Old 07-24-2007, 11:43 PM

You can do this but I wouldn't make a habit of it because people will start to limp huge hands and crush you. You don't need a hand because everyone behind the first limper is saying they have a weak hand, just make sure to follow this up with a flop cont bet if someone does call, but be weary of the first limper if he does end up calling your reraise. Oh, and if you do try this make sure to overbet it, with 5 limpers to you in the BB I would overbet whats in the pot and I wouldn't make this a routine habit in the same game.
Old 07-24-2007, 11:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You can do this but I wouldn't make a habit of it because people will start to limp huge hands and crush you.

[/ QUOTE ]people do not do this often enough to even think about.
Old 07-24-2007, 11:51 PM

These sorts of play are all dependant on your image, the room flow and quite simply are pf raises taking the blinds. If so pound away fold to re raises and watch early limpers flat calling, don't go crazy with it, introduce it first with hands like sc's and then when you become more comfortable open up your range with suited two gappers, axs, ax etc. Just always be prepared to fold and look for long term results.
Old 07-24-2007, 11:54 PM

i agree with it being okay, the only problem is you generally have to open yourself up too much to push anybody out of the hand and anyone who calls the raise already has you were they want you.
Old 07-25-2007, 12:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i agree with it being okay, the only problem is you generally have to open yourself up too much to push anybody out of the hand and anyone who calls the raise already has you were they want you.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol no....people aren't limping b/c they have a monster, they're limping b/c they don't understand aggressive poker. The fact of the matter is, aggressive poker wins at ALL levels. These people want to limp KTo, we raise xx in position, flop A28...he chekcs, we bet, he folds the best hand.

Now it's not that simple (nobody should ever look at poker as if it is played in a vacuum), but isolating ONE limper is incredibly profitable. Isolating 2 limpers is more difficult and takes a lot of postflop skill.

Rule #1 of Poker: Capitalize on Opponents' Mistakes

Limping with marginal crap and then folding when they don't hit the flop is the biggest mistake any uNL fish has.