Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2007, 08:20 PM

Default Full Ring adivce request

Ok so I'm a NL25-50 full ring player, I have read a few books and feel I'm stronger then most of my opponents, but there are a few things I'm not so sure about and could be leaks. About coldcalling mostly.
also

I have a few examples, it could be that these have very clear answers
lets say all players have 100 BB stacks
tell me in both cases, the raiser being a nit, and a fairly loose raiser.

so early position raiser raises 3x the BB, and gets called by a MP player, everyone else folds to you in the BB, should you call with Q9s?

early position raiser raises 3x the BB, everyone folds to you in LP with 33(what about 88)

early position raiser raises 3x the BB, everyone folds to you in LP with 67s (what about TJs)

you raise 3x the BB 99 in early position, a player in late position reraises you 9x BB

someone raises 3x bb, it gets folded to you in the BB with AJ (what about ATs?)

someone raises 3x bb early position, it gets folded to you in LP with A4s (what about a one raise + one call to you)

And also a question about the SB, do you complete the SB with Ax? what about hands like T4s/Q2s?

I would really appreciate it if someone took some time to answer these questions with a short explanation, thankyou.
Old 07-24-2007, 08:37 PM

Default Re: Full Ring adivce request

[ QUOTE ]
Ok so I'm a NL25-50 full ring player, I have read a few books and feel I'm stronger then most of my opponents, but there are a few things I'm not so sure about and could be leaks. About coldcalling mostly.
also

so early position raiser raises 3x the BB, and gets called by a MP player, everyone else folds to you in the BB, should you call with Q9s?
Probably not
early position raiser raises 3x the BB, everyone folds to you in LP with 33(what about 88)
Yes and yes
early position raiser raises 3x the BB, everyone folds to you in LP with 67s (what about TJs)
some of the time. Depending on your postflop skill and the likely of being able to win a lot when you hit
you raise 3x the BB 99 in early position, a player in late position reraises you 9x BB
to 9bb in total? Id be inclined to call here most of the time for set value
Hmmm... either is fine in some instances. But i lean towards folding as you got a lot of reserve implied odds.
someone raises 3x bb early position, it gets folded to you in LP with A4s(what about a one raise + one call to you)
fold mostly
And also a question about the SB, do you complete the SB with Ax? what about hands like T4s/Q2s?
No most of the time. It depends on limpers and the likelyhood of a raise from the BB.
I would really appreciate it if someone took some time to answer these questions with a short explanation, thankyou.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-24-2007, 08:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
also

NO NO
YES YES YES YES assuming the 5/10 rule applies
YES YES YES YES
Use the 5/10 rule
Fold v early, reraise or check-donk bet v a stealer
someone raises 3x bb early position, it gets folded to you in LP with A4s (what about a one raise + one call to you)
Call Call

FOLD FOLD FOLD FOLD

[/ QUOTE ]

position matters a hell of alot
pocket pairs are good
Old 07-24-2007, 08:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, virtually always.
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Headsup? Given stack size, probably call and set mine.
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Out of position, mostly fold. Drawing hands are better to play in position--so, same situation, but your on the button, I call (and sometimes r/r) with both.
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Usually fold, read dependant.
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Meh, whatever. Sometimes fold, sometimes r/r, sometimes call.
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I like it with more than one opponent. With only one, I might call, hoping to drag the blinds along with me. You're only playing for the flush.
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Usually not. That said, I don't mind completing the SB in hopes of a flush board once in a while. My goal in the SB is to only play easy hands that will either obviously hit or obviously miss, hence avoiding domination.

Warning: I'm much more LAG than TAG, and think that a lot of the folks who succeed very well at this level play way too tight for higher games. But that's just me.
Old 07-24-2007, 08:54 PM

Ok so I notice you disagree on some of the points, thats why I think it's important to know why you do what you do. I would like to hear more opinions, gonna check in tomorrow.
Old 07-24-2007, 09:21 PM

I agree with MT2R for the most part, but I'm curious why you would fold Ax in the SB instead of pop it to 4x. I'm also fine with calling AJ or A10s vs. donks from any position and vs. good players in steal positions (obviously use variety of different lines on the flop, hit or miss).
Old 07-24-2007, 09:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
5/10 rule

[/ QUOTE ]

??? Link?
Old 07-24-2007, 10:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
also

<font color="blue">Fold. Its a hard hand to play oop, if it was a 2x raise I'd call obv.</font>

<font color="blue">I call any pair here for set value.</font>

<font color="blue">I call a raise from a nit and fold to a loose. When you call with sc you are waiting win a huge pot when hit, a nit must have a good hand to open in ep, so you have great implied odds. A loose instead can be giving a shot with a fair good hand, then if you hit you will not win a big pot enough. If loose is also a calling station, I call.</font>

<font color="blue">I call for set value.</font>

[ QUOTE ]
<font color="blue">Fold v early, reraise or check-donk bet v a stealer</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="blue">Fold (call)</font>

<font color="blue">Without limpers I raise 80% of my hands. With one limper I fold both. With 2+ limpers I complete.</font>

[/ QUOTE ]
Excuse me for eventual grammar errors.
Old 07-24-2007, 10:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Q: I've heard other posters mentioning the 5/10 rule. What is it?

A: The 5/10 rule is an important no-limit concept that first appeared in Bob Ciaffone's excellent book, "PL &amp; NL Poker." To quote directly from the book:

"When contemplating calling a raise because your position is good, you have a clear call if the raise is less than 5% of your stack, and a clear fold if it is more than 10%. In between those numbers, use your judgement."

It's a good rule for calling a preflop raise with a pocket pair in hopes of hitting a set. The driving force behind the concept is the implied odds in a given situation. If you get your set, but the opponent only has 5BBs after the initial raise, calling to hit the set in the first place is incorrect. [ QUOTE ]

http://archiveserver.twoplustwo.com/...te_id/1#import
Old 07-25-2007, 11:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
also

No
Yes and yes
totally player and table dependant. I will sometimes fold, sometimes call, and if conditions are just right I will re-raise
call
Generally I fold. I'll call against a weak opponent
someone raises 3x bb early position, it gets folded to you in LP with A4s(what about a one raise + one call to you)
fold both
No

[/ QUOTE ]

Tight play tends to pay off at full ring. Position is key. Clearly there is room for individual play based on the varying responses you've got. Good luck.