Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2007, 06:45 PM

Default A stock question

Say you have a portfolio of 10 stocks. Two of the position our JPM and GS, both financial companies. With all the bad new s on financials and me believing that things might not get better anytime soon. Is smart/+ev/piratical to trim theses listed position, as I don’t want to fully trade out of them, and invest in some of my better ideas. A big factor is that if I trade out of them now, I will be taking a loss. But can the fact that things might not get better soon, and I rather add more to one of my tech. position make this ok. Is this way of thinking bad because I’m focusing too much on the short term?
Or is it better to practice buy and hold, and let the market take its course over the years?

Few notes: This account is held at zecco so there is no fees for the trades. I think this is a big factor. Also, I have another account full of mutual funds. My purpose for this account is a lot more risk, and seek for the highest return.