Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2007, 01:07 PM

Default how to play this sort of flop

ive read a lot of advice on how to play certain hands from the pros but ive noticed in this sort of situation they dont play the way they advice,,
say 4 players limp in and your in the bb with 5d 10d flop comes
10h 2h 5h, if i am first to act with top 2 pair,i allways bet the pot to protect my hand,i have read this is the correct play as its unlikely someone has 2 hearts,
so how come when i watch the pros on tv they allways seem to check in this situation and if no heart on the turn they raise big,i dont think they are slowplaying,
Old 07-24-2007, 01:19 PM

Default Re: how to play this sort of flop

Against unknowns and no reads I prob bet 1/2 to 3/4 of pot but I do not think a check here is all that bad either. Top 2 is a good hand but def. not the nuts and the texture of the flop is awful. Keep in mind there are 4 hands out there and you are in bad position so you have no information about what your opponents range are or how serious they are about the hand.

In small online SNG and such you will get called by anyone with a big heart but remember people LOVE chasing flushes in SNG so you may be wayyyyyy behind here. When I first started playing online I got eliminated with 2 pair more than any other hand.

Just remember it is a strong hand but with the flop as it is it is def not the nuts.
Old 07-24-2007, 01:53 PM

Consider how the players are likely to act after you - are there maniacs out there or are the players passive? - and personally whether you are committed to the hand on the flop? In a game where there are aggressive bettors then I would check-raise or even check-allin one person - you almost certainly have the best hand and if you get outdrawn - so what? You did the right thing. If i ran into a set then so be it - it's highly unlikely.

I might call a multi-call pot and see how the turn card falls.

In a passive game I would bet out and make anyone pay to draw out - in a four-player hand there is a reasonable possibility that someone will be monkey-flush drawing.
Old 07-24-2007, 02:30 PM

You have the best hand, and you check hoping someone else bets the hand and puts some money in there. You can check-raise then or lead out on the turn.
Old 07-24-2007, 02:37 PM

When I'm playing live, in this situation I tend to bet about 3/4 of the pot hoping to get called by someone. Only occasionally will I try to check-call and then check-raise on the turn. When I do this, I am absolutely prepared to throw my hand away if a heart comes. But normally I just bet out because people always seem to freeze on suited flops and it gets checked around, the last thing you want in this situation.