Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2007, 12:15 PM

Default NL25 Float in a Reraised pot

Sorry, I don't have the history, but the card's really aren't that important, I'm just wondering about people's thoughts on a specific bluff line.

NL 25 6max
Both players have full stacks, hero has been pretty active but has only seen about 20 hands. Villain is pretty straightforward, not tricky.

Hero is dealt 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Hero pots utg to .85, sb repots to 2.95, hero calls.

Flop comes Q 7 5 rainbow

Villian bets 2/3 pot, hero calls.

Turn 10 check check

River blank (for all intensive purposes)

villain bets 1/2 pot, hero shoves, villain folds.

I have a few questions.

1) preflop is this call profitable if we are playing 44 for set odds?

2)How many people bet the turn?

3)What percentage of the time does the float need to work for it to be profitable?

4) At these stakes, is this line by the villain ever a big hand? If it is a big hand, is it because the turn improved the villain's hand substantially?

Thanks in advance
Old 07-24-2007, 12:23 PM

Default Re: NL25 Float in a Reraised pot

This looks mega-spewy to me. I don't know that people 3-bet light at 25NL. This looks to me like either a big pair or AJ+. Sure, AJ/AK you beat, but I doubt AQ is folding and certainly not higher pairs. This will work occasionally, but it's very strange that villain bets 1/2 pot on river and folds to shove given that he's probably getting good odds anyway? I wouldn't even call the 3bet with 44.
Old 07-24-2007, 12:29 PM

Default Re: NL25 Float in a Reraised pot

Playing in 3 bet pots and floating are two concepts that are player dependant. The more tricky your opponents are, the less likely you should be doing them. Also, in future posts, I would not post the final results saying that villain folds as it may skew some advice here.

[ QUOTE ]
1) preflop is this call profitable if we are playing 44 for set odds?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. You have to call about 2.10 to win 4.05 If my math is correct. I like to be able to win 10x my investment to call with the hope of flopping a set. given that you are both at full buyin, you are below what is necesarry. Also, the fact that you have position and will be able to steal the pot occasionally (such as you did here) adds to your edge a bit.

[ QUOTE ]
2)How many people bet the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

Given that your opponent is straight forward, I would.

[ QUOTE ]
3)What percentage of the time does the float need to work for it to be profitable?

[/ QUOTE ]

The math is too complicated for me to do now, maybe ill do it later.

[ QUOTE ]
4) At these stakes, is this line by the villain ever a big hand? If it is a big hand, is it because the turn improved the villain's hand substantially?

[/ QUOTE ]

I only have about 300 hands at this level since I have started playing again (I used to play 50 and 100) but I played with a couple of opponents who are capable of doing this at ub. On the turn, that could either be QQ, TT, AK, or something like 88 etc.

All in all, I don't hate the play, I wouldn't make it my default line though. Given that the guy was pretty straightforward, I think that you picked a good spot to pull it off.