Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2006, 12:43 AM

Default Anyone else hate limit?

am i the only one who can't stand the variance of limit poker? i feel like an idiot right now. i'm playing 5/10 sh @ party to try to clear this stupid acceler8tor bonus and the variance is just driving me nuts. i usually play strictly no limit and LOVE it because the variance is so small in comparison. at least when i get sucked out on in no-limit i can punish the guy with atrocious pot odds if he wants to hit his 2-outer. here at limit there's almost nothing you can do.

i'm running back to nl, bonus be damned. does anyone else feel this way about limit?
Old 02-25-2006, 01:21 AM

Default Re: Anyone else hate limit?

No. Limit has far more variance than NL. What else do you call it when you call it when you have 100 BB on AK vs. TT?
Old 02-25-2006, 01:34 AM

It's a different set of skills at limit. A suckout or 2 along the way is just part of normal poker operations. Once you really know what you are doing, you are nearly always acting with positive expectation. The money rolls in nice and steady. NL players just get frustrated that they can't push anyone around with their stacks. Again, different skills make a good NL player.

It's all poker though. A really good player excels at both limit AND big bet poker.

In the long run, NL cash games will die out. The fish lose way too fast. Right now there are plenty of new fish to take their place. So it's the golden age right now.

Ultimately you will have to be good at limit poker to survive. Better develop those skills soon.
Old 02-25-2006, 01:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
am i the only one who can't stand the variance of limit poker? i feel like an idiot right now. i'm playing 5/10 sh @ party to try to clear this stupid acceler8tor bonus and the variance is just driving me nuts. i usually play strictly no limit and LOVE it because the variance is so small in comparison. at least when i get sucked out on in no-limit i can punish the guy with atrocious pot odds if he wants to hit his 2-outer. here at limit there's almost nothing you can do.

i'm running back to nl, bonus be damned. does anyone else feel this way about limit?

[/ QUOTE ]

Limit sucks.
Old 02-25-2006, 01:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
at least when i get sucked out on in no-limit i can punish the guy with atrocious pot odds if he wants to hit his 2-outer. here at limit there's almost nothing you can do.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

b
Old 02-25-2006, 02:15 AM

I used to play LHE, now I play primarily NLHE. One of the main reasons I switched was variance. It's nice to sit down and know you're going to have a winning session 70% of the time, compared to 55%.
Old 02-25-2006, 02:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
No. Limit has far more variance than NL. What else do you call it when you call it when you have 100 BB on AK vs. TT?

[/ QUOTE ]

I honestly cannot understand a single sentence of this post.
Old 02-25-2006, 02:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The money rolls in nice and steady.

In the long run, NL cash games will die out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you just repeating stuff you've heard elsewhere?

The money rolls in nice and steady at limit? rofl.
Old 02-25-2006, 02:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I used to play LHE, now I play primarily NLHE. One of the main reasons I switched was variance. It's nice to sit down and know you're going to have a winning session 70% of the time, compared to 55%.

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree, but it feels more like 85-55% here
Old 02-25-2006, 03:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The money rolls in nice and steady.

In the long run, NL cash games will die out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you just repeating stuff you've heard elsewhere?

The money rolls in nice and steady at limit? rofl.

[/ QUOTE ]

No I'm stating my own expeience having played limit for over 25 years. There is an art to playing limit. If you are very good, which I am, the money does flow in on a consistent basis. If that has not happened for you, you're just not a good limit player.

I also happen to be a very good NL player also. So I know the skills for each are very different. NL is actually quite a bit easier. It's all about reads, the math is usually trivial. I'm very sensitive and able to read people well. In limit, it's more math and discipline. It's pretty straightforward to always be putting in your money with the best of it. But you do have to be really disciplined. It's extremely easy to get out of line and lose your small edge.

It is not an accident that NL cash games were unheard of in this country prior to the recent fad, probably started by the notoriety of the WSOP and the movie Rounders. NL games highly favor skilled players, short or long term. The fish lose quickly and often violently. The games dry up. This WILL happen in due course. Limit poker offers more temporary protection for a fish because he can play low enough to sustain long term small losses that are never ruinous.

I would say that anyone who hates limit is probably not a very good poker player and probably almost always a lifetime loser.

The golden age of NL poker is a temporary state. Enjoy it while it lasts. I know I will. The NL games in Atlantic City are very sweet right now. The limit games are also soft as the steady stream of NL players who get crushed seek "shelter" in the illusory safety of limit poker.

It's just a damn good time to be a poker player these days.