Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2007, 03:52 PM

Default Debt Collection Question

In May of 2006 I rented a U-Haul can to move out of my dorms. I rented it for one day, turned it back in and was told all my payment was good.

Over a year later in late May 2007, I recieve a letter from U-Haul in the mail that I owe $40.00 for a parking ticket that I did not even know I recieved that day. I put the bill in a pile to call them about and two days later I receive a call from a debt collector telling me I now owe $70.00 which includes a $30.00 administrative fee.

I was leaving the country for a month two days later, so I did not worry about it, but I recieved a letter stating my debt owed during that month. It basically details the debt and says it is due within 30 days.

I am wondering if I have to pay any of this. I would rather not but don't want it to affect my credit. I was not informed of my debt from U-Haul until a year after the rental, and then was not given any time to pay before having my debt sent to collection.
Old 07-23-2007, 03:54 PM

Default Re: Debt Collection Question

call them up and tell them you will pay the $40, but not he $30 fee. if they don't accept that, tell them to shove it up their ass. since they will accept that, this thread is useless.
Old 07-23-2007, 03:54 PM

oh wait you were looking for a way out....

sprinkle fairy dust on the letter you got from them and it will disappear.
Old 07-23-2007, 04:08 PM

Do a search. There as a parking ticket uhaul debt collection thread in the last couple of weeks.
Old 07-23-2007, 04:15 PM

This is the 2+2 for credit problems. http://www.creditboards.com/forums/

The first suggestion will probably be to write a validation letter to collector stating that the debt is not yours. Also of note it is often better to let the entry remain on your credit report than pay it off.
Old 07-23-2007, 04:26 PM

Have U-haul send you a copy of the parking ticket. Check the time stamp on the ticket (it will be on there), then check when you turned in the u-haul. If the time stamp is whithin the period you had the uhaul, pay the ticket. If not, tell u-haula nd give them the proof. They will move on to the next person who rented the truck that day.