Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2007, 12:31 PM

Default calling possible bluffs

I am working on my game a lot lately, but there is one aspect I have ben struggling with for a lot of months...

I pay off in too many large pots because I think people are bluffing me, I know it is stupid, it is a form of FPS I think. I just want to stop calling when people are valuebetting me.

I am down 10 buyins at the 400, and I could show 12 suckouts of 800 $ pots, but if I did not make a few bad calls I would have only been down 6 or seven buyins...

That means if I did not do this even when I am running normal my winrate will go up, did any of you guys experience something similar to this one? This must be a big leak because 6 or 7 bi over 25k hands influences your WR alot...

What did you guys do to fix the leak?
Old 07-23-2007, 12:34 PM

Default Re: calling possible bluffs

heh this is also a leak of mine.

a lot of the time it stems about because i decide to do stuff like check top pair on every street after opening preflop. then when he bombs the river i think 'wtf theres no way he puts me on a hand this strong!' and call and lose. so maybe play more straightforward? heh
Old 07-23-2007, 01:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
heh this is also a leak of mine.

a lot of the time it stems about because i decide to do stuff like check top pair on every street after opening preflop. then when he bombs the river i think 'wtf theres no way he puts me on a hand this strong!' and call and lose. so maybe play more straightforward? heh

[/ QUOTE ]

I do the same thing very often. I honestly don't know if it really works out to be +EV in the longterm. C/C down vs aggro opponents. Generally, they will bet the turn (maybe flop and turn) with air, but when I call that river PSB they have nearly always gotten there by spiking a set or some garbage on the river. I may have to do some math here.
Old 07-23-2007, 02:05 PM

I used to always try put my opponent on a hand that I could beat in order to call. Then at some point I guess I just stopped being obsessed with folding the best hand at times and instead started evaluating my hand against his range as a whole. Something I've also come to realize over time is that "hero-calls" against solid opponents tend to always be a leak even if they work out every now and then, and trying to justify them based on purely intuitive arguments is just finding excuses for making a bad play.