Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Flop
What are you, an idiot? Lead this flop! 8 26.67%
Checking and planning to check-raise, then cold-calling the bet and raise is fine, don't lose anyone! 13 43.33%
Stimpy, you eeediot! Three-Bet, THREE-BET!!!!! 9 30.00%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-22-2007, 07:25 AM

Default \'Double Chance\' freezout stacks

I've searched for posts on the subject but found none.

A popular structure in the UK B&M tourneys is the 'double chance', meaning that you get half of your total chips to start the tournament with, and starting from the 2nd hand and until the first break you can ask for the other half. So if at some point you still haven't exercised the option and you lose an all-in, you can keep on playing the rest of the chips.

Intuitively, my feeling is that it is always optimal to get the additional chips straight away, but I'm not quite sure how to formulate the idea in an articulate way.

What do you think?
Old 07-22-2007, 07:55 AM

Default Re: \'Double Chance\' freezout stacks

This is interesting because there is the "the fewer chips you have, the more a single chip is worth" idea which would indicate that you should wait untill you bust to get the other chips. But that is of course assuming that you bust. If you double up, then the extra chips would e worth less than they would if you had gotten them straight away.
Depends on how quickly the blinds escalate as well because if it is a fast tourney those chips you get after busting might not be good enough to fold any hand with.

Personally I would always get them straight away because if I double up I want to get the maximum out of it. I also always rebuy up to the max when I lose chips in a cash game for the same reason.
Old 07-22-2007, 09:55 AM

see it from this side:

we are all working the whole tournament to keep in front of the blinds - keep our M high.

so why would anyone voluntarily take a smaller M from the beginning.

if you go broke in a higher level the chips you get a much less worth, for you start with a small M there too.
Old 07-22-2007, 10:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
if you go broke in a higher level the chips you get a much less worth, for you start with a small M there too.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's not true at all. Chips have a $ (£) worth depending on the other stack sizes & the prizepool, irrelevant of the blinds.
I like taking the double stack so I can stack idiots who do likewise, because there are always fish to be found at the start of the tourney.
Old 07-22-2007, 10:30 AM

It depends whether everyone else does. If no one adds on, and you can take the chips at any time, there's no reason to. If other people do add on, or as soon as people double up, then you want to make sure that if you can get it all in, you double up 4x starting stack, not 2x.
Old 07-22-2007, 10:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It depends whether everyone else does. If no one adds on, and you can take the chips at any time, there's no reason to. If other people do add on, or as soon as people double up, then you want to make sure that if you can get it all in, you double up 4x starting stack, not 2x.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's an interesting point. Let's assume that nobody takes the additional chips, but in the first hand two players end up all-in and one of them wins (and let's assume that another player comes in the empty seat). Then, this should warrant us to get the additional chips so that we may win more from the player that just doubled up.

Assuming this reasoning is correct, then what amount of chips won by a villain in the first hand represents the inflection point (if there is one)?