Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2007, 01:01 PM

Default Ethics of Chopping

Okay, here's the story. I'm playing the end of long grueling deep stack tournament on Pokerstars. It's down to three players and two of us want to chop but the third player doesn't respond to our chat (his chat was off? I don't know.) So the break ends and we continue to play. The player that didn't chat gets short stacked so of course now me and the third opponent don't want to chop as we see we can bust him out. He gets knocked out and that leaves me and my opponent.

We play for awhile and an observer says "I thought you two wanted to chop?" Our stacks were equal at this point. He says he does and I say okay. I type in "Hit your sit out button so we can discuss it." I hit my sit out button but he continues to play eating away my blinds and doesn't respond to the chat. I say to him again in the chat 'hit your sit out button so we can discuss this'. As I see my blinds being eaten up and no response from my opponent I unclick to discover pocket QQ's. I push in and he calls with pocket 66's. I know have 1,500,000 in chips and he has 75,000. Then he says 'I guess I messed up the chop?'

I of course bust him in a few hands and then we discuss what went wrong in our negotations. I must admit it was odd. Trying to chop yet continuing to play and then when we finally were chatting again I was dominanting by 99% of the chips.

I'm new to chopping and tournaments online and so was my opponent. By the time I had his chips, even though we had intended to chop, I was reluctant to consider chopping since he didn't respond to my chat and kept on playing.

The observer sided with me saying that my opponent didn't sit out and kept playing therefore the chop was off.

What do you think? It was a grueling 12 hour tournament that gave me a substantial win but I feel strange in how it went down.
Old 07-21-2007, 01:24 PM

Default Re: Ethics of Chopping

Keep all the money and don't feel bad about it. He didn't sit out and you beat him fair and square. Your job is to make money, not friends.
Old 07-21-2007, 01:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Keep all the money and don't feel bad about it. He didn't sit out and you beat him fair and square. Your job is to make money, not friends. [/quote

It is his fault- enjoy the win.
Old 07-21-2007, 02:20 PM

I think he forfited any right to a chop when he kep playing after you agreed...

If I felt he was just new and didnt get it I would still say your money and he learned a lesson...if he was doing it maliciously I would email support and have them review and keep a eye on him...

Hard enough without people playing angles
Old 07-21-2007, 03:03 PM

of course the OP keeps the money, but why would you say support should keep an eye on the guy? he didn't do anything against any rules.
Old 07-21-2007, 03:09 PM

I guess but agreeing to a chop and then playing on seems pretty unethical