Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2007, 11:08 AM

Default Please help a nit

Now hopefully the laughter has sub-sided.

Here are my standard opening ranges

[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] UTG: 22+,AQs+,KQs,AQo+
[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] MP: 22+,AQs+,KQs,AQo+,KQo
[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] CO: 22+,A7s+,KTs+,QTs+,J9s+,T9s,ATo+,KTo+,QJo
[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] BTN: 22+,A5s+,KTs+,QTs+,J9s+,T9s,98s,87s,76s,A8o+,KTo+, QTo+,JTo,T9o,98o

My button range probably isn't that wide its probably very similar to the CO range.

Basically I cannot open up to a TAGGY style of 22/18ish.

Soon I will be moving back up to 200nl and would like to have playing a looser style but nothing to crazy as I know this nit tag won't work that well past SSNL.

Whenever I tell my friends they just tell me oh you need to open up more on the button and CO but I think there is more to it.

I think I don't cold call enough preflop and something I should start doing more(wrong thinking) I honestly am stuck can anyone help.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

G
Old 07-21-2007, 11:12 AM

Default Re: Please help a nit

suited connectors and suited 1-gappers from co and btn. i wouldn't really worry too much about this, i know plenty of nitty players that win as high as 5/10. postflop play is much more important, people get too hung up on preflop numbers.
Old 07-21-2007, 11:13 AM

i really like ur stats, u dip a little too much IMO from flop AF to turn AF so you may have some good TAGs floating u and stealing on the turn. You might not be double barreling enough either, which your image that is easy since you are so tight, i would actually expect all those numbers to be higher. With those numbers there should not be this much variance so there is another leak t hat is hard to find cuz it is not in the stats, i can sweat u for a session if u want
Old 07-21-2007, 11:19 AM

A pair is 0.5%, a suited hand is 0.3% and an offsuit hand is 0.9% of all hands. So if you add 7 hands to your range you'll be at 20% VPIP.

You really shouldn't be adding hands to get your VPIP up though, you should be adding them because they're profitable to you.

Basically though your attempt to steal is way too low. A good 24/21 is going to be around 40%. This is a symptom of you probably not realizing the importance of position.

Hands you can add to your button opening range:
All suited aces
All suited kings
Suited 1 gappers
All offsuit connectors
Medium offsuit 1 gappers
Suited 2 gappers

Most of the time you're raising from the button you're doing it cause you're the button, your cards are just backup in case you need them.
Old 07-21-2007, 11:19 AM

I think you can open up from all positions. folding AJs from mp is a crime. also consider all limped pots unopened and open with 100% of your opening range. 00
Old 07-21-2007, 11:20 AM

Start raising more suited aces and some of the higher connectors from UTG and UTG+1.. from the CO and BTN just start raising into tight blinds.. your cards don't matter [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-21-2007, 12:03 PM

A lot depends on what types of players are sitting to your left, sometimes I play nittier than you, sometimes i'm raising suited 2 gappers UTG, just depends.

On the button I normally raise anything suited tho, unless there's +40 vpip players in the blinds.
Old 07-21-2007, 06:55 PM

Thanks for all the advice so far.

Bump for late night crew.
Old 07-21-2007, 07:51 PM

hey,

a few months ago... i was 13/10 (YIKES!!)... i did the same thing.. try to loosen up, because beating the game at 2ptbb/100 isnt good when its so much easier playing looser. my advice would just be to experiment, play less tables (i dropped from 8 to 4 because i was playing looser), and always try to put pressure on people.

fwiw i moved from 13/10 to 19/16 right now for july....
Old 07-21-2007, 07:55 PM

wow sykes, i was just about to make a post exactly like this. i think theres some good advice here, thanks for the responses guys.