Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2007, 11:43 PM

Default 100 NL - Extracting the most value out of a nice flop

I've been running 21/14, villain was running at 71/14 over a measely 14 hands [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

I occasionally raise ATC from the SB and BB in limped pots, and this hand is an example. My question is, how do I extract more value from this hand after the Ace on the turn? C/C the turn, and lead the river for 1/2 pot? Or is my turn bet appropriate?

Full Tilt Poker - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.50/$1 Blinds - 8 Players - (http://www.legopoker.com/hh)

SB: $99.00
Hero (BB): $271.80
UTG: $98.50
UTG+1: $135.35
MP1: $104.80
MP2: $35.30
CO: $189.95
BTN: $97.00

Preflop: Hero is dealt 6s 8h (8 Players)
3 folds, MP2 calls $1.00, CO calls $1.00, BTN calls $1.00, SB calls $0.50, Hero raises to $6.00, MP2 folds, CO calls $5.00, 2 folds

Flop: ($15) 2s 6c 6d (2 Players)
Hero bets $12.00, CO calls $12.00

Turn: ($39) Ad (2 Players)
Hero bets $21.00, CO folds
Uncalled bet of $21.00 returned to Hero

Pot Size: $39.00 ($1.95 Rake)
Old 07-21-2007, 12:01 AM

Default Re: 100 NL - Extracting the most value out of a nice flop

If your going to raise w/ ATC cards here your raise needs to be much larger then to $6.

However, squuezing limpers with below marginal holdings at NL100 is stupid. It is just spew doing this with 68o and even if only doing it from time to time, its still spewing money everytime you do it.

This play has merit too it if there was say a terrible player who limped and thats it, however with 3 limpers, even with all thier dead money in the pot (assuming they are all bad) this is just burning money.

Again, I'm only saying its awful when your hand is as bad as 68o. I don't mind the play at all when your hand is even just a teensy bit better.

Anyways, moving on...

Flop play is fine.

On the turn an argument can be made for checking, because, an A acts as a scare card even to the most terrible villains, because you raised out of the blinds and they are likely to associate you a/ an A. I don't know why, thats just ho wbad players think. PLus, the board is relativly dry so giving a free river if he checks through isn't worrysome. And if turn checks through we are possible to get a call out of many hands on the river that would have folded the turn, such as some mid pairs. Especially from bad players, since they can't put you on an A now.

Checking the turn is the best player here and best case scenario we trick the bad player into bluff raising the river, since he thinks you don't have an A and he can rep one, thus beating your worse 1 pair hand.
Old 07-21-2007, 12:17 AM

$6 is a pot sized raise, why would I want the raise to be bigger? Would you raise the same ammount with k,k? The whole concept of raising ATC comes from a post made here a while back, Link . I don't see it as being spewey either as I am in the black from the BB and SB over 3,000 hands (Yes, I know it's a small sample size, but still...) I will also say that I normally don't raise with cards as bad as 8,6o from the blinds, usually they're at least suited [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-21-2007, 03:26 AM

Your hoping to take the pot down with your raise from the blinds... A larger raise has a greater chance of that happening. We aren't worried about the pot size, since we are usually goign to if called see a flop heads up and we are cbetiing almost 100% of the time anyways, and then we are done with the hand unless we hit. So pot size doesn't matter. So there is no reason to not make a larger raise preflop, which again has a greater likelyhood of taking the pot down.

And yea I said I didn't mind raising super light from the blinds in situations like this, I just said doign it with as weak as 68o is pretty gross.